Views
Helpful
Replies

3560G InterVlan routing is not working!

Abdullah Net
Level 1
Level 1

Dear All,

I have cisco 3560G-TS-S with IOS 12.2(35)SE5 IPbase software. I have vlan 1 and vlan 2.

Each Vlan has one pc attached to it. Each pc can ping its default vlan ip address and can ping the router behind the swtich.

The problem is pc 1 can not ping pc 2 even though i typed "Ip routing" in the global config mode to enable interVlan routing.

Is it because my IOS is old and does't support intervlan routing?

Thanks,

Kevin

20 Replies 20

I can see it now in the "show ip route" I guess it needs a few sec in order to appear there .. Now everything is working fine .. Thank you so much for your help

No problem, glad you got it working.

Jon

Cisco are currently donating money to the Haiti earthquake appeal for every rating so please consider rating all helpful posts.

The the port on the L3 switch should simply be a normal switchport, and will be in most cases in the default vlan 1.  So if you add the default-route to 192.168.2.1 it should appear in the routing table as it locally connected with the same subnet as the SVI.  Please forward the configuration of the switch, and we should hopefully be able to determine whether your issue is, but it would seem that the interface to the internet gateway is misconfigured in some way.

Rgds

Allan.

Thanks i figured out the problem. I really appreciate your help

No problem at all, glad that we were able to help you out.

Regards

Allan.

Hi,

From the information that you have provided, it would seem that the information that Jon provide regarding some local Firewall or Anti-Virus software is more than likely restricting ICMP.  The fact of the matter is that the L3 switch is successfully routing between the VLANs as you mentioned that both hosts on either VLAN is able to reach the internet gateway behind the switch which is on 192.168.2.1.

Therefore the host on subnet 192.168.4.0/24 will have to use the local default gateway on the switch in order to reach the internet router, so there should be no reason why the same host cannot reach the host that is on the same subnet as the internet gateway?  Thus some application on the PC is restricting ICMPs.

Regards

Allan

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card