cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

3560X-24P-L Switch, OSPF support?

dkraut
Level 1
Level 1

Hi All, I acquired a 3560X-24P-L Switch which I wanted to use at our datacenter.  However, I need a switch that supports OSPF.  It came with a Universal IOS but there was no "Router" command under conf t.  I downloaded and applied the latest "IP Base" IOS, but still no Router OSPF.  Based on the matrix here > http://www.cisco.com/en/US/prod/collateral/switches/ps5718/ps6406/qa_c67-578933_ps10744_Products_Q_and_A_Item.html  I thought "IP Base" supported OSPF, but what exactly is "OSPF for routed access" ?  Do I actually need an "IP Services" IOS?  From my download options, I do not see an IP Services IOS for the 3560X-24P-L so I'm left to assume that the switch does not support L3 / OSPF.  So my question is, does anyone know if this particular switch supports L3 / OSPF and what is Universal IOS?

And btw, what's with the proprietary power cord on these models?  You guys are killing me Cisco! 

Thanks!  Dave

5 Replies 5

Richard Burts
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Dave

The idea of the Universal image is that there is now one code image that supports multiple feature sets. Instead of one image for LAN Base, another image for IP Base, and another image for IP Services there is now one image that supports all three. And which one you use is controlled by the license on the switch. Your 3560X-24P-L came with the LAN Base license, which does not support OSPF.

This question and answer from the link that you provided sheds some light on your question.

Q. What is the difference between the Cisco Catalyst 3750-X and 3560-X Series LAN Base and IP Base models?

A. The LAN Base feature set enables comprehensive Layer 2 functionality,  while the IP Base feature set provides more advanced features such as  Cisco StackPower (available only on the Catalyst 3750-X), MACsec,  protocol-independent multicast (PIM) stub, Enhanced Interior Gateway  Routing Protocol (EIGRP) stub, and full Open Shortest Path First (OSPF)  routing.

So it looks to me like the LAN Base does support OSPF but your switch seems to still be running the IP Base license which does not support it.

HTH

Rick

HTH

Rick

Thanks Rick, Universal IOS sounds like a good idea, but this is the first time I've run into it.  So how does one check the license level, sh ver?  Do you know if it's possible to upgrade the license?   I actually have a few of these switches, but they are worthless to me without OSPF.  

Dave

According to the command reference there is information about the license level in the show version command.

I do not have direct experience with these but I would be amazed if the license could not be upgraded.

HTH

Rick

HTH

Rick

Hi

Yes there should be OSPF support in the IP-Base image, but if i am not remembering wrong there is a difference in OSPF for base image and ip services image.

I do not come across opsf in my day to day use but i think i have seen something about what version of Software you are using also.

The hardware is the same in all three modes but there are differences in what it can do, they are all possible to upgrade.

The license upgrade can be somewhat tricky if you have never done it before but it is manageable.

there is a possibility to recieve/have a test license that one can activate and get ip services, for testing.

That however is timebombed with a live time of a couple of weeks.

but it will get you the time to get all things sorted out if you need to buy it.

Ill se if i can find out the ospf stuff.

This is an example of a 3750x-ip-base sh lic (same same but different)

------------------------------------------------------------------

CS1#sh lic

Index 1 Feature: ipservices

Period left: 0  minute  0  second

Index 2 Feature: ipbase

Period left: Life time

License Type: Permanent

License State: Active, In Use

License Priority: Medium

License Count: Non-Counted

Index 3 Feature: lanbase

Period left: 0  minute  0  second

------------------------------------------------------------------

Yes found it

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/switches/lan/catalyst3750x_3560x/software/release/12.2_58_se/release/notes/OL24338.pdf

It is OSPF Routed access and it is available since 12.2.55(SE)

Good luck

HTH

pjmonline
Level 1
Level 1

There is a sh license command as well. You can upgrade the license.

Sent from Cisco Technical Support iPhone App

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card