Views
Helpful
Replies

3560x or 4500E Switch

David Kondicz
Level 1
Level 1

Hello,

i am looking for switching solution for FTTB project. But if i compare 48port solution with 3560x performacne and 4500E with SUP6L-E supervisor and X4648 gig line card, it looks be better to use 3560x solusion, or i am not right?

What do you think about this.

We will integrate around 500 Mb/s multicast stream on uplink  ports and provide internet connections aboud 50-300 Mb/s / building (1 building is 1 port on central switch). We have now 41 buldings

Only way, why i am thinking about 4500e solution is modularity and 10Gig L3 interfaces for future usage. And o course posibility to add another 48port line card.

What do you thing?  4500e with SUP6 ur 3560x or 3750x becous stackable?

Than you

BR

Dave

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Why would anyone want to compare a 3560X/3750X to a Sup6E.  

You would want to compare 3650X/3750X with Sup7E. 

Besides, you're not being fair.  How many slots of is your 4500R+E?  Aside from performance compare the cost.  

We went through the same exercise.  We found it was cheaper to get a 4510R+E with Sup7E in a bundle (including a PS and some line cards) than stacking four (or more) 3750X.

View solution in original post

3 Replies 3

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Why would anyone want to compare a 3560X/3750X to a Sup6E.  

You would want to compare 3650X/3750X with Sup7E. 

Besides, you're not being fair.  How many slots of is your 4500R+E?  Aside from performance compare the cost.  

We went through the same exercise.  We found it was cheaper to get a 4510R+E with Sup7E in a bundle (including a PS and some line cards) than stacking four (or more) 3750X.

Hi,

I am thinking about 4506E chasis. But i dont know if the SUP6 or SUP7 sup have L3 image by default or it is needed to buy separatly.

Thanx

BR

David

Disclaimer

The Author of this posting offers the information contained within this posting without consideration and with the reader's understanding that there's no implied or expressed suitability or fitness for any purpose. Information provided is for informational purposes only and should not be construed as rendering professional advice of any kind. Usage of this posting's information is solely at reader's own risk.

Liability Disclaimer

In no event shall Author be liable for any damages whatsoever (including, without limitation, damages for loss of use, data or profit) arising out of the use or inability to use the posting's information even if Author has been advised of the possibility of such damage.

Posting

The 4500, I believe, has two license levels.  The 3560X/3750X have 3 license levels.

When you're comparing performance, the 3xxxX series often has a problem of insufficient interface buffering, although this can sometimes be mitigated with configuration tuning.

Also the 4500 chassis has a fabric between line cards, while the 3750X series has a ring between stack members.  Depending on your sup and line cards, the 4500E fabric can offer more and lower latency bandwidth.

So, for performance, the "right" 4500 would be a better choice.  However, that's versus a 3750X stack, if you stack the newer 3650s or 3850s, their rings offer more bandwidth than a 3750X ring, and may surpass the 4500E, but interface buffering might still be an issue.

BTW, Leo is correct,  a large enough 4500 chassis is less expensive than a 3750X stack although the breakeven point depends on software licensing and whether the 4500 is a redundant chassis with 2nd sup.

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card