cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

3650 express setup

jason.w
Level 1
Level 1

I have an issue accessing the express setup on a 3650 switch , following the guide i power in switch and wait for POSt to finish, then should be able to hold mode switch for 3 secs to enable express mode where switch turns into a DHCP server and has the ip address 10.0.0.1 and connected laptop has IP 10.0.0.2

mode switch doesn't work for anything other than a momentary mode change of LED'S , cannot access express mode cannot reset

at one point the switch was offering ips 192.168.1.2 and I got onto the web interface but its all locked down as it has not express setup run

these are brand new out the box switches I have 10 of them

what am I missing this has worked in the past ?

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

FYI The Cisco documentation is incorrect this method of invoking the express setup doesn't work

I used console calble on rear port @9600 Baud as alternative 

View solution in original post

3 Replies 3

Deepak Kumar
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Hi,

Step 1 

Make sure that nothing is connected to the switch.

Step 2 

During Express Setup, the switch acts as a DHCP server. If your PC or laptop has a static IP address, temporarily change your PC or laptop settings before you use DHCP.

Note Write down the static IP address. You will need this IP address in Step 14.

Step 3 

Install the power supply modules. See the "Power Supply Installation" chapter in the Catalyst 3650 Switch Hardware Installation Guide for instructions.

http://www.cisco.com/go/cat3650_hw

Note For information on 250-W AC power supply support on the PoE-capable switch models, refer to the Release Notes for the Cisco Catalyst 3650 Switch on Cisco.com.

Step 4 

Power the switch.

AC power switches: Plug the AC power cord into the switch power supply and into a grounded AC outlet.

DC power switches: See the wiring instructions in the Catalyst 3650 Switch Hardware Installation Guide on Cisco.com:

http://www.cisco.com/go/cat3650_hw

Step 5 

Observe the POST results. Approximately 30 seconds after the switch powers on, it begins the power-on self-test (POST), which can take up to 5 minutes to complete.

During POST, the SYSTEM LED blinks green. When POST is complete, the SYSTEM LED turns solid green. The ACTV LED is green if the switch is acting as the active switch.

Note Before going to the next step, wait until POST is complete.

Troubleshooting:

If the SYST LED does not turn solid green, or turns amber, the switch failed the POST. Contact your Cisco representative or reseller.

Step 6 

Press and hold the Mode button until all the LEDs next to the Mode button turn green.

You might need to hold the button for more than 3 seconds.

The switch is now in Express Setup mode.

Troubleshooting:

If the LEDs next to the Mode button blink when you press the button, release it. Blinking LEDs mean that the switch is already configured and cannot go into Express Setup mode. For more information, see the "Resetting the Switch" section.

Step 7 

Connect a Category 5 Ethernet cable to a port:

Any 10/100/1000 or 10/100/1000 PoE+ Ethernet ports on the switch front panel.

The RJ-45 management port on the switch rear panel.

Connect the other end of the cable to the Ethernet port on your PC or laptop.

Wait until the port LEDs on the switch and your PC or laptop are green or blinking green. Green LEDs indicate a successful connection.

Troubleshooting:

If the port LEDs do not turn green after about 30 seconds, make sure that:

You connected the Ethernet cable to one of the downlink switch ports (not to the console port).

You are using an undamaged Category 5 or 6 Ethernet cable.

The other device is turned on.

Step 8 

Start a browser session on the PC or laptop, and enter the IP address https://10.0.0.1. When prompted, enter the default password, cisco.

Note The switch ignores text in the username field.

The Express Setup window appears.

Troubleshooting:

If the Express Setup window does not appear, make sure that any browser pop-up blockers or proxy settings are disabled and that any wireless client is disabled on your PC or laptop.

Regards,
Deepak Kumar,
Don't forget to vote and accept the solution if this comment will help you!

FYI The Cisco documentation is incorrect this method of invoking the express setup doesn't work

I used console calble on rear port @9600 Baud as alternative 

This does not work...just like originally reported....is the answer left above by someone else true that documentation is wrong and serial connection is the only way when you first setup the switch? 

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card