Views
Helpful
Replies

3750 Routing Question

probinson10
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

I have a 3750 switch with routing enable. It has 3 vlans configured. I have a firewall that is on vlan A. I need to send traffic from the firewall to vlans B. I want to create a static route on the firewall that sends its traffic to vlan A's ip address. Will switch route the traffic to vlan B?

5 Replies 5

darren.g
Level 5
Level 5

Phillip Robinson wrote:

Hi,

I have a 3750 switch with routing enable. It has 3 vlans configured. I have a firewall that is on vlan A. I need to send traffic from the firewall to vlans B. I want to create a static route on the firewall that sends its traffic to vlan A's ip address. Will switch route the traffic to vlan B?

What license level do you have on the 3750?

If you have IP Base (or higher), then yes, it will, provided you add the correct routing statements to the configuration.

If you only have LAN Base, then no, it won't.

Cheers.

Thanks for the reply. The switch already has a default route that points to the firewall's ip address. What additional route do i need on the switch? I was thinking that once i route it to vlan A ip address it would't need another route to get to a deivce on vlan B.

hi,

with regards of what you described earlier and the use of just static routing, it is very confusing.

i think it'd be easier if you use a simple dynamic routing and route-maps, that way you are more flexible to set conditions for routing, of course if your IOS supports it. is it the only switch in ur network? (would help if you provide a little more insight)

please rate if it helped.

Hope it Helps!

Soroush.

Phillip Robinson wrote:

Thanks for the reply. The switch already has a default route that points to the firewall's ip address. What additional route do i need on the switch? I was thinking that once i route it to vlan A ip address it would't need another route to get to a deivce on vlan B.

The default route pointing to the firewall was what I was referring to. :-)

If all your SVI's are on the one switch, and that switch also has the appropriate default route pointing to the firewall, then you shouldn't need to do anything else. The switch should have "Connected' routes for all your IP subnets and route beteween them without issue.

Cheers.

Nandan Mathure
Level 1
Level 1

Yes if the switch has SVI interfaces then it surely would route the traffic. Could you post the configuration and output of "show ip route connected" from the switch?

Thanks,

Nandan

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card