Views
Helpful
Replies

3750's Cluster Losing Hostname

Communications
Level 1
Level 1

Hi

We have 11 * 3750x switches configured into 3 seperate stacks (3,4,4), I clustered them together,one of the Hostname on one of the stack changes name as though it did not originally have a hostname, If I change it back again it reverts back to the commander hostname-1, this only happens on one of the Stack's.

I removed it from the cluster, reset the hostname, I have restarted that stack and the Hostname is correct, as soon as I add it back to the cluster the Hostname on that stack changes again?

Any Ideas

3 Replies 3

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

If I change it back again it reverts back to the commander hostname-1

Uh-oh.  You're not talking about CLUSTERING are you?  Because is you are, then there's no way to change the hostname in a CLUSTER.

There's a world of difference between STACKING and CLUSTERING in a 3750.

Yes I am talking about clustering, I already have 3 switch stacks all with different names Core, Lan, iScsi, when I add them to a cluster, the Lan stack changes hostname to Core-1.

If I remove the Lan stack from the cluster and rename it from Core-1 back to Lan and save the config then add it back to the cluster it changes the Lan stack hostname to Core-1 again.

The other two switch stacks keep their correct name, the docs say if the devices added to the cluster dont have a hostname they are named after the cluster commander which in this case is Core.

The problem is the switch stack had a hostname before it is added to the cluster and when it is added it changes the Hostname on that switch stack.

If I remove the Lan stack from the cluster and rename it from Core-1 back to Lan and save the config then add it back to the cluster it changes the Lan stack hostname to Core-1 again.

This is a normal behaviour for switch Clustering.

The only reason why I would cluster switches (nowadays) is when I'm short of management IP addresses.  Otherwise, trying to cluster a STACK of 3750 can be very, very confusing.  I shudder at the mere thought of it.

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card