Views
Helpful
Replies

3750's Cluster Losing Hostname

Communications
Level 1
Level 1

Hi

We have 11 * 3750x switches configured into 3 seperate stacks (3,4,4), I clustered them together,one of the Hostname on one of the stack changes name as though it did not originally have a hostname, If I change it back again it reverts back to the commander hostname-1, this only happens on one of the Stack's.

I removed it from the cluster, reset the hostname, I have restarted that stack and the Hostname is correct, as soon as I add it back to the cluster the Hostname on that stack changes again?

Any Ideas

3 Replies 3

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

If I change it back again it reverts back to the commander hostname-1

Uh-oh.  You're not talking about CLUSTERING are you?  Because is you are, then there's no way to change the hostname in a CLUSTER.

There's a world of difference between STACKING and CLUSTERING in a 3750.

Yes I am talking about clustering, I already have 3 switch stacks all with different names Core, Lan, iScsi, when I add them to a cluster, the Lan stack changes hostname to Core-1.

If I remove the Lan stack from the cluster and rename it from Core-1 back to Lan and save the config then add it back to the cluster it changes the Lan stack hostname to Core-1 again.

The other two switch stacks keep their correct name, the docs say if the devices added to the cluster dont have a hostname they are named after the cluster commander which in this case is Core.

The problem is the switch stack had a hostname before it is added to the cluster and when it is added it changes the Hostname on that switch stack.

If I remove the Lan stack from the cluster and rename it from Core-1 back to Lan and save the config then add it back to the cluster it changes the Lan stack hostname to Core-1 again.

This is a normal behaviour for switch Clustering.

The only reason why I would cluster switches (nowadays) is when I'm short of management IP addresses.  Otherwise, trying to cluster a STACK of 3750 can be very, very confusing.  I shudder at the mere thought of it.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Innovations in Cisco Full Stack Observability - A new webinar from Cisco