cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

3750 Stack - advice on config

paul.thomas
Level 1
Level 1

I have a number of 3750 switches stacked with the cables at the back.

I now have a brand new 3750G 24-TS to install and I presume it makes sense for it to be the stack master as its the latest switch with the newest IOS.

Should I just plug it in, or clear the config from the existing ones and give this new one an IP adress before plugging it in?

I have only the default VLAN1 at the moment and none of the switches have been configured with smartports etc. Some have even just picked up DHCP IP addresses.....

Going forwards I will be creating some VLAN's and configuring certain ports for certain systems and functions so I want to ensure the stack is configured correctly from the beginning.

Thanks in advance for any help/advice/suggestions!

7 Replies 7

Ivan Shirshin
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hi Paul,

You should make a new switch priority higher than the others before adding it to the stack.

Please see this steps for adding a switch as a master:

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/hw/switches/ps5023/products_configuration_example09186a00807811ad.shtml#stack4

Also, the software on the switches should be the same.

Kind Regards,
Ivan

**Please grade this post if you find it useful.

Kind Regards,
Ivan

thanks for the advice.

One of the existing switches seems to be a different IOS version, its a IPSERVICESK9-M image rather than a IPBASE-M that the new Master is.

What's the easiest way for me to sort this out?

And also, how do I clear the config on this 2nd switch so its gets all its settings form the new master?

Hi Paul,

Here are the steps to upgrade the switches in a stack:

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/hw/switches/ps5023/products_configuration_example09186a00804799d7.shtml#cfbin1

In short, you need to (example for 2 switches in a stack):

1. Check that you have enough space:

dir flash1:
     dir flash2:

2. Copy new image file to both switches

copy tftp: flash1:
     copy tftp: flash2:

3. Configure the boot variable to boot the switch with the newly copied IOS:

(config)#boot system switch all flash:/

(config)#exit

write memory

4. Reload and Verify    

reload
     show version

5. To clear configuration, you have to erase both configuration and vlan database:

write erase
     delete flash1:vlan.dat
     delete flash2:vlan.dat

5. Power down the stack. Set new master with priority 15 and connect to the stack, then boot up.

6. Verify it is master and current IOS version:

show switch
     remote command all show version

PS: make sure that after adding a master the stack boots with correct IOS version. Master should have the boot string set properly.

Kind Regards,
Ivan

edited by: Ivan Shirshin

Kind Regards,
Ivan

Thankyou, I will try this and let you know.

One other question, can a switch connected via fibre to a stack member participate in the stack?

Hi,

I had this problem where a stck was meant to be for two 3750s but someone connected three switches and when I removed one and modified the priorities, I didn't have connectivity and it was thinbking that there must be three switches. even teh stand alone switch which was part of teh stack, was thinking it was still a stack member!?

renumbering and write earse did not resolve my problem until I use two new switches to create a new stack of two 3750s.

I performed write erase with cables attached, with cables removed but no result!?

so I was wondering what may have gone wrong? or what imust have done that I had not done to have the original switches work as a stack of two?

thanks,

Masood

Your removed stack member could have been a provisioned one.  In such case you need to run a command to un-provision it after disconnecting from stack. E.g.:

no switch 2 provision ws-c3750-48ts

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/hw/switches/ps5023/products_configuration_example09186a00807811ad.shtml#stack6

Kind Regards,
Ivan

Kind Regards,
Ivan

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Hey Paul,

Before you go and upgrade the IOS of your switches, make sure you know what are the flash memory capacity of each of the switch stack members.  3750/3750G comes in two sizes:  16 and 32 mb flash memory.

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card