cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

3750 Stack switch IOS version mismatch

rshum
Level 1
Level 1

I installed a new switch into a 3750 stack. The new switch has a different version of IOS on it than the rest of the stack. For some reason it won't up/downgrade to the correct version.

3750-STACK#sho switch

Current

Switch# Role Mac Address Priority State

--------------------------------------------------------

1 Member 000a.b811.3f00 1 Ready

*2 Master 000a.b844.cd00 1 Ready

3 Member 000a.b844.b600 1 Ready

4 Member 0017.9426.f300 1 Version Mismatch

Isn't the stack supposed to automatically make the new switch the correct version? Is there a way for me to manually initiate this?

6 Replies 6

mihanlin
Level 1
Level 1

Hello,

There are some limitations with auto-upgrade as to why it doesn't upgrade. Please note:

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/switches/lan/catalyst3750/software/release/12.2_25_see/configuration/guide/swstack.html#wp1189959

The software on the master switch must be the same type of image (i.e. the new switch must be IP services if the master switch it IP services).

Also, for auto upgrade to work it must be a minor version mismatch.

In your case, the easiest way is to remove it from the stack and manually upgrade.

Alternatively, if you can access the flash flesystem from the master, upgrade it using TFTP. Do a show file system and dir the flash of member 4 to see if you have access to it.

Thanks, I eventually upgraded the new switch in the stack with the following command

archive copy-sw /overwrite /destination-system

Takes awhile but it copied the image over from another switch in the stack.

archive copy-sw /overwrite /destination-system---------------------comand is it from the master or both

and when connected 2 switch on of the switch get stock on switch: i Know is mismatch of ios  3750 series

please help

glen.grant
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

I think it will allow you to copy the image from the master down to switch 4 . Here is the info if you get a version mismatch.

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/hw/switches/ps5023/products_configuration_example09186a00804799d7.shtml

ropethic
Level 4
Level 4

I have run into this situation every time I implemented stackwise. I had to upgrade each swicth individually prior to joining the stack. I too, was under the impression that it should automatically upgrade to latest version. It is suppossed to, but have yet to see it work this way. I have personally installed 3750s at least a half-dozen times with same results. So I just upgraded each switch prior to stacking.

gnijs
Level 4
Level 4

you can do it manually:

remove the image from unit 4:

> del /force /recursive flash4:

copy the .bin image from one of the other

switches to unit 4

> copy flash1:/

/ flash4:

reload unit 4

> reload slot 4

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: