cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

3750 Stack/Trunking

reggietuck
Level 1
Level 1

I currently have 5 3750s connected via Stackwise. This stack is connected back to my core (6509s) via fiber (1Gig to Core1 & 1Gig to Core2). I want to move the 5th 3750 to another closet due to an addition of a new patch panel. Due to max length of 10 ft. for stackwise, my plan is to connect this 5th switch back to the stack using trunked fiber ports, with them being an etherchannel (2Gig). Also plan to use single fiber port form 2 different switches in the stack to provide some redundancy for the 5th switch. Should I be alert of any issues with this connection design? Do I need to properly remove the 5th switch from the stack using, no sw 5 provison sw-model or can I just disconnect stackwise and connect back with fiber? TIA

2 Replies 2

hobbe
Level 7
Level 7

Hi

You can just disconnect it, however the switches in the stack will still have the config for it and it will still be configured with the stack configuration,

so a wr er is in order when it comes to the software and to start over with a new config.

if applicable you might want to change the switchnumber to 1

(switch 5 renumber 1 ) and then do a reload so that the config looks "normal".

Good luck

HTH

glen.grant
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

You can just connect it back with fiber  but it will just be a standalone switch and you will need to assign an address and default gateway to be able to manage it  .  Power down the switch before removing it from the stack.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card