cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

3750 Switch Corrupt Flash - Exhuasted all Resources

jon.baxter1
Level 1
Level 1

I was attaching a 3750 to a stack.  I didnt realize it was upgrading the flash file to match that of the stack.  It was disconnected.  Here are all the commands I have done and tried.  Any help would be great becaue I have done all I can find online and still not working properly.  I have used both putty and tera term for all of these commands except the upload, I have only used tera term for that.

Here it is on boot

switch: boot
Loading "flash:/c3750e-universalk9-mz.122-58.SE2/c3750e-universalk9-mz.122-58.SE                                                                                                                                                             2.bin"...flash:/c3750e-universalk9-mz.122-58.SE2/c3750e-universalk9-mz.122-58.SE                                                                                                                                                             2.bin: no such file or directory

Error loading "flash:/c3750e-universalk9-mz.122-58.SE2/c3750e-universalk9-mz.122                                                                                                                                                             -58.SE2.bin"

Interrupt within 5 seconds to abort boot process.
Boot process failed...

Here is the directory of flash

switch: dir flash:
Directory of flash:/

2 drwx 512 <date> update

57200128 bytes available (471552 bytes used)

Here is the directory of Flash:Update

switch: dir flash:update
Directory of flash:update/

3 drwx 512 <date> c3750e-universalk9-mz.122-55.SE5

57200128 bytes available (471552 bytes used)

Here is the directory of Flash:Update:c3750e-universalk9-mz.122-55.SE5

switch: dir flash:update:c3750e-universalk9-mz.122-55.SE5
unable to stat flash:update:c3750e-universalk9-mz.122-55.SE5/: no such file or directory

Here is what happens after I upload the new file to flash, after an 8 hour upload

switch: copy xmodem: flash:c3750e-universalk9-mz.122-58.SE2.bin
Begin the Xmodem or Xmodem-1K transfer now...
CCCCCCCCCCxmodem:: I/O error

And here is what happens when I try to delete flash with /force and /recursive

switch: delete /force /recursive flash:
Are you sure you want to delete "/force" (y/n)?y
File "/force" not deleted -- no such device
Are you sure you want to delete "/recursive" (y/n)?y
File "/recursive" not deleted -- no such device
Are you sure you want to delete "flash:" (y/n)?y
File "flash:" not deleted -- no such file or directory

And here is what happens when I try to delete flash:update with /force and /recursive

switch: delete /force /recursive flash:update
Are you sure you want to delete "flash:update" (y/n)?y
File "flash:update" not deleted -- is a directory

And here is what happens when I try to delete flash:update with /force and /recursive

switch: delete /force /recursive flash:update:c3750e-universalk9-mz.122-55.SE5
Are you sure you want to delete "flash:update:c3750e-universalk9-mz.122-55.SE5" (y/n)?y
File "flash:update:c3750e-universalk9-mz.122-55.SE5" not deleted -- no such file or directory

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

i have a 3750e

Good.  This is going to save you a whole lot of time.  

i never did try to upload from the update directory.

And I never said you try to UPLOAD.  I recommended to "DO NOT attempt to load the IOS found in the "update" sub-directory".  The "update" sub-directory is created when running the "archive" script command to upgrade the IOS.  The "update" sub-directory is a TEMPORARY directory.  When I mean TEMPORARY I mean the IOS file inside this sub-directory is NOT COMPLETE.  This means that when you try to load or run the IOS file found inside the "update" sub-directory you're doomed to fail magnificently.  

Alright ... So you've got a 3750E.  Bring your eyes to the BACK of the appliance.  Feast your eyes near the console port.  Do you see a USB port?  Guess what that is for?   If you use the Cisco recommended (and very archaic) method of uploading the IOS via XModem you'll be wasting, at a minimum, about 45 minutes.  If you use USB, the most you'll wind up doing is looking for a USB thumb drive and the appliance will be up and running in about 10 minutes.  Your choice.  ;)

Look for a USB thumb drive (any size as long as it'll fit the IOS BIN file).  Format the USB with FAT 16.  Copy the IOS BIN file (not the TAR file) into the USB thumb drive.  

Once done, the command to load the IOS using the USB thumb drive is:  boot usbflash0:IOS.bin

NOTE:  Not all USB thumb drives are supported by Cisco appliance.  Be prepared to (search and) try different brand/sizes until you hit it right.

View solution in original post

11 Replies 11

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Exactly what model of switch do you have?  Is it a 3750/G or a 3750E/X?  Not being pedantic but it will save you a whole lot of time to determine which one.  

DO NOT attempt to load the IOS found in the "update" sub-directory.  The sub-directory is still "update" because there is a legitimate reason.  Forcing to load the IOS found inside the "update" sub-directory will only lead to frustration and a loss of hair.  

i have a 3750e

i never did try to upload from the update directory.  im confused if you are saying this because from my original post you believe i did.  

i have a 3750e

Good.  This is going to save you a whole lot of time.  

i never did try to upload from the update directory.

And I never said you try to UPLOAD.  I recommended to "DO NOT attempt to load the IOS found in the "update" sub-directory".  The "update" sub-directory is created when running the "archive" script command to upgrade the IOS.  The "update" sub-directory is a TEMPORARY directory.  When I mean TEMPORARY I mean the IOS file inside this sub-directory is NOT COMPLETE.  This means that when you try to load or run the IOS file found inside the "update" sub-directory you're doomed to fail magnificently.  

Alright ... So you've got a 3750E.  Bring your eyes to the BACK of the appliance.  Feast your eyes near the console port.  Do you see a USB port?  Guess what that is for?   If you use the Cisco recommended (and very archaic) method of uploading the IOS via XModem you'll be wasting, at a minimum, about 45 minutes.  If you use USB, the most you'll wind up doing is looking for a USB thumb drive and the appliance will be up and running in about 10 minutes.  Your choice.  ;)

Look for a USB thumb drive (any size as long as it'll fit the IOS BIN file).  Format the USB with FAT 16.  Copy the IOS BIN file (not the TAR file) into the USB thumb drive.  

Once done, the command to load the IOS using the USB thumb drive is:  boot usbflash0:IOS.bin

NOTE:  Not all USB thumb drives are supported by Cisco appliance.  Be prepared to (search and) try different brand/sizes until you hit it right.

I was able to format a 1 gig stick to fat16.  i tried the command from above and got this:

ERR: Reloading ptd ?/?... qh ? readed: 196057024 of 195336520 done: 0baf97ec cur                                                                                        : 00000000
ERR: Device NOT ready

usbflash0: contains unexpected values in partition table or boot sector.
Device needs formatting before use!
Loading "usbflash0:c3750e-universalk9-mz.122-55.SE5.bin"...usbflash0:c3750e-univ                                                                                        ersalk9-mz.122-55.SE5.bin: bad file number

Error loading "usbflash0:c3750e-universalk9-mz.122-55.SE5.bin"

Interrupt within 5 seconds to abort boot process.
Boot process failed...

I can only assume that the usb stick is not compatible with cisco.  i will try another

I can only assume that the usb stick is not compatible with cisco.

That is correct.  The USB stick is not supported.

right, and it wasnt. i apologize for not updating this.  i did find a cisco compatible usb as i did successfully boot off the usb.  however, that did not solve my problem.  because i booted off the usb and when all said and done, the switch then rebooted and lo and behold, it still couldnt find a bin file where it was looking.

so, the proper solution was to copy the bin file to the flash directory, then change where the boot was looking for the bin file.  my switch works fine now.

thanks for all the help, it really did help me.

however, that did not solve my problem.  because i booted off the usb and when all said and done, the switch then rebooted and lo and behold, it still couldnt find a bin file where it was looking

And this behaviour was to be expected.  Y'see, when you boot using USB, you issued the command manually.  The switch's configuration did NOT know about this, hence, it boot up into ROMmon.  

Booting via USB is to get your switch operational again so you can apply a permanent fix to the issue of the missing or corrupt IOS.

ok... im pretty sure i couldve just done the copy and set boot prior to booting off the usb.  the prompt was always switch:

Thanks, Peter.  :D

Charles Hill
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Its trying to boot from flash:/c3750e-universalk9-mz.122-58.SE2/c3750e-universalk9-mz.122-58.SE and that folder is not there.  I guess I'm stating the obvious.  :)

You can try copying the ios to the flash from rommon via tftp. 

I have had trouble with xmodem in the past, but tftp has worked.

Below is the link that gives detailed steps to restore the ios via rommon and tftp.

http://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/switches/lan/catalyst3750x_3560x/software/release/12-2_55_se/configuration/guide/3750xscg/swtrbl.html#pgfId-1099467

Hope this helps.

Please rate helpful posts.

Thanks.

Didn't mean to post on top of Leo's post.  He's the man.

I would listen to him.

Didn't mean to post on top of Leo's post. 

ROFL!

We are all sharing ideas here, Charles.  ;)

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: