cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

3750e switch resource capabilities/limits with iBGP and EIGRP

trector
Level 1
Level 1

I have a situation where 100+ sites are connected together via MPLS (BGP), with some of the larger sites also being connected with high speed WAN connections (100Mbps) that handle the majority of the traffic between these larger sites. Each of these larger sites has WS-C3750E-24TD switches acting as the core switch with EIGRP being used as the internal routing protocol. The MPLS provider's routers act as the redistribution point between BGP and EIGRP. The route filtering required to make this configuration work is a little complex, and is causing some routing issues when the WAN links fail and then return.

I would like to removed EIGRP from the provider's routers and run iBGP on top of the EIGRP that is already running on the 3750e switches in order to provide for better control over the internal and

external routes.

I am having a really hard time finding the practical routing limits on the WS-C3750E-24TD switches.

There are currently less than 1000 prefixes in EIGRP, but this number will grow as new sites are added.

The addition of iBGP to these devices will also require memory, and I would like to make sure that these switches can handle the load and the additional memory.

Does anyone know the practical EIGRP/BGP memory/prefix limits for the WS-C3750E-24TD switches running ipservices code? Maybe a Cisco document that discusses this?

Also, I would also like to find a document that discusses any differences/issues with running BGP on the 3750e switches as compared to running it on a regular router.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

1 Reply 1

Edison Ortiz
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

You are looking at around 8k routes with the SDM routing template

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/switches/lan/catalyst3750e_3560e/software/release/12.2_50_se/configuration/guide/swsdm.html

Routing is done in hardware, no memory concern as routers.

There aren't any issues with running BGP on 3750E, AFAIK...

The only limitation is the size of their ASIC for routing, so this device is not recommended for full internet routing. Your number of routes will be met by this switch.

Regards

Edison.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: