Views
Helpful
Replies

3750G memory leak known problem

jpdavolos
Level 1
Level 1

Hello,

I have been well-informed regarding the issue with ...

flash:c3750-advipservicesk9-mz.122-44.SE1

I started at my company a little over a week ago and currently we have a 3 switch stack running this release, and the memory utilization is currently up at 95%. I would like to upgrade the image because i know SE1 has a known bug which was resolved in later releases. We are currently getting quotes and scheduling replacing our infrastructure hardware to soem 4500R+e switches so this only needs to be a semi-temporary fix.

Above is the current image we are running, and the logical replacement I see on Cisco's website is

c3750-advipservicesk9-mz.122-44.SE6.bin. Has anyone used this image, and what words of advice would give for implementing it on our collapsed core layer? Everythig is pretty straight forward, 3 switches in the stack, with about 6 other switches uplinked with no wired redundancy. Single VTP domain, RSTP/PVST turned on.

Please advise.

5 Replies 5

InayathUlla Sharieff
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hi,

3750/3600 series:-I recommend a "stable" IOS, then 12.2(55)SE7 .  Kindly plan for the upgrade.

HTH

Regards

Inayath

*Plz rate usefull posts.

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Same here, however I'm fully satisfied with the behaviour of 12.2(55)SE8.

Leo,

What success have you had with this bug? What version do you like best? Again, I'm dealing with multiple stacks and a known bad image. I am also now getting the famous %% low on memory message and have no accessibility. I'm going to pull the power tonight so I can at least access the switches tomorrow.

When I'm dealing with 2960/G/S, I don't find any problems running 15.0(2)SE4.

My 3560CG (compact switch) is running 15.0(2)SE4.

All of my 3750/G/E/X are all running 12.2(55)SE8.

All my 3560/G/E are running 12.2(55)SE8.

All my switches have 802.1x running.

My recommendation is 12.2(5)SE8 for your fleet of 3750.

andmende
Level 1
Level 1

Hi there,

You might also take a look to 12.2.58; 15.0X codes are giving problems with memory, specially when the 3750 switches are in a stack mode. By experience, it has showed to me and many customer I have dealt with that this is a stable code.  Take into account that 95% or memory utilization would not expected.  I have seen some cases when the switch works fine with 1 MB of memory available.  If you are not getting some traceback or MALLOC messages in the switch logs, the state of memory might not be as critical as it appears to be.  

By default, when Catalyst switches are powered up by the first time, the memory utilization can be around 70% and increasing from that point as you might start to configue features on the device.

Hope this helps for you.

Andrey

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card