cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

3750G-PoE48 Startup issue

wl_3315
Level 1
Level 1

We have a 3750G that powers on, but does not give any output on the console. The light pattern when you plug it in is immediately top three yellow, bottom four green, and then only SYST light is solid green, and it stays that way. I have tried holding the mode button while starting, but it does not have any effect. Is there anything I can do, or is this thing toast? It is not under SMARTNet.

7 Replies 7

Ven Taylor
Level 4
Level 4

Stupid question time...

Are you using the right kind of console cable with the right settings?  (9600 8/none/1)

Are you plugged into the console port?

If so, your switch may be toast. Aren't those end of life?

Ven

Ven Taylor

Yes, I am using a cisco console cable; yes, I'm plugged into the console port; and yes, I have Putty configured to 9600/8/n/1.

They may be EoL, but I thought I would try to repair it.

Hi William,

it does not look like the switch being faulty. it looks more like your console conection is not properly set..

a) make sure that you are connected to the right port on your laptop/PC (Putty is not the best in helping you to understand which COM port is the right one, you can try TeraTerm)

b) sometimes the console speed is different than 9600. you should try 19200,38400,115200 and to see if strange characters appear on the screen

c)changing console cable .

The fact that is on EoL does not mean anything to you.

Let me know

Alessio

Thanks for the hints Alessio. Unfortunately, I have tried numerous console speed settings without success. Note that I did try different speeds while holding down the mode button to get into the rommon mode (or whatever the appropriate terminology is). I know this console cable is good. Any other thoughts?

Wait a sec.  You can get into rommon?

Does the prompt look like this:

rommon 1>

or rommon and some number?

If so, just type the word "boot" and see what happens.

Here's a list of all rommon commands available:

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/routers/access/1700/1701/software/configuration/guide/rom_mon.html#wp1005134

Ven

Ven Taylor

No, I can't get into rommon - nothing comes across the console at all, ever. Fans spin up, SYST light stays on, but that's all that happens.

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card