cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

3750g-s-s

darren849
Level 1
Level 1

I have a 3750 and when I configure a trunk port I cannot set the port: switch port mode trunk as I do in the 2960

If I type switchport mode ? On the 3750 I see ......
Access
Dot1q-tunnel
Dynamic
Private-vlan
Trunk

Under the 2960 when I do the same I get
Access
Dynamic
Trunk

Is setting a trunk up on a 3750 different than a 2960 ? Do I have to up grade the iOS on the 3750?

Sent from Cisco Technical Support iPhone App

6 Replies 6

cadet alain
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Hi,

maybe my glasses should be replaced but I see the keyword Trunk in both platform outputs you posted.

Regards.

Alain

Don't forget to rate helpful posts.

when configuring a trunk on the 2960

I just go to the interface like :

interface giga 1/0/1

Then type (switchport mode trunk)

No I just set my native vlan on the trunk and asighn the vlans I want on the trunk. I do the same on my cisco 4503 router.

But this cisco 3750 when I do it.

I type the same command in the interface and I get:

Command rejected: An interface whose trunk encapsulation is "Auto" can not be co

nfigured to "trunk" mode.

I have to set the trunk to : dot1q-tunnel first

any one know why???

Reza Sharifi
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Are you refering to encapsulation type?,  Trunk is in both switches

HTH

I dont have to set the encapsulation type on the 2960 . How come I have to do it on the 3750?

Hi,

because these are different platforms supporting different trunking encapsulation types and which have different default config. So do first switchport trunk encapsulation dot1q then issue switchport mode trunk and then do as you do on other switches.

Regards.

Alain

I dont have to set the encapsulation type on the 2960 . How come I have to do it on the 3750?

The 2960 doesn't have "switchport encapsulation" command, because it only supports dot1q, which is default.

HTH

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Innovations in Cisco Full Stack Observability - A new webinar from Cisco