cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

3750x stack member question

Travis Ryan
Level 1
Level 1

I already have a 3750x configured and in place at a location. I have a new 3750x switch I just got in and will be connecting it with a data cable to create a stack. My question is, do I have to configure the second switch at all or will it get all of it's configuration information from the first switch?

2 Replies 2

Reza Sharifi
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

As long as the second switch has the same exact IOS and license as the first one, you don't need to configure it separately.  Whatever you configure on the master will be pushed to the member.

Also to stack the switches together you need a stacking cable not regular data cable.

http://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/switches/lan/catalyst3750x_3560x/software/release/12-2_55_se/configuration/guide/3750xscg/swstack.html#pgfId-1177470

HTH

rizwanr74
Level 7
Level 7

Hi oscarwinski,

This is in addition what Reza has advised.

If you happened to power down the master switch, please make sure that you power up the master switch (existing switch) first and let the master switch boot up completely before you power the second switch (i.e. new switch).

If you did other way around, your new switch will be the master and all previous configuration from old-master switch will be deleted from running-configuration (assuming they are connected via stack-cable).

Thanks

Rizwan Rafeek.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Innovations in Cisco Full Stack Observability - A new webinar from Cisco