Views
Helpful
Replies

3750X stacking, IP Services with IP Base

Dear

I want to setup a new stack of 3750X switches

2 x WS-C3750X-12S-E

1 x WS-C3750X-48T-S

Is this possible or do need al switches to be IP Services (-E) ?

Then I need to swap the 48T-S towards a 48T-E

Kind regards,

Philippe

6 Replies 6

Seb Rupik
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Hi Philippe,

All switches need the same IOS version and feature set to operate in a stack together.

cheers,

Seb.

Thanks for the quick reply.

I will swap it on my quotation then

It's possible to stack (mix) IP Services with IP Base.

Sent from Cisco Technical Support iPhone App

But not recommended, by Cisco. If you have SMARTnet cover and raise a case, then I'm not sure what TAC would say either. They might say 'Sorry, but we can't help until you upgrade the 3rd switch to the same feature set'.

The delay in purchasing software, processing the order, obtaining the software and finally upgrading the switch could be considerable. How vital is the switch stack? It is worth the stress and potential downtime?

Joseph W. Doherty
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Disclaimer

The Author of this posting offers the information contained within this posting without consideration and with the reader's understanding that there's no implied or expressed suitability or fitness for any purpose. Information provided is for informational purposes only and should not be construed as rendering professional advice of any kind. Usage of this posting's information is solely at reader's own risk.

Liability Disclaimer

In no event shall Author be liable for any damages whatsoever (including, without limitation, damages for loss of use, data or profit) arising out of the use or inability to use the posting's information even if Author has been advised of the possibility of such damage.

Posting

2 x WS-C3750X-12S-E

1 x WS-C3750X-48T-S

Is this possible or do need al switches to be IP Services (-E) ?

Yes it's possible and no you don't need.  IP Services and IP Base can work in the same stack.

Generally if using IP Services, you'll want at least two switches with that feature set license so if the master fails, the other IP Services licensed switch will keep the stack running IP Services (otherwise the stack would drop down to IP Base feature set).

(Remember on a 3750X stack, you'll have the same binary [universal] image installed on all your stack members, but each will have its own device specific feature license.)

As it appears you have dual 12S with IP Services, you're covered for IP Services redundancy.

yes you can use the switches ,

rate it usefull post

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card