Views
Helpful
Replies

3750x switches and stacking

satishmothukri
Level 1
Level 1

Hi All ,

Three switches are stacked as shown in the diagram , which was set long back by one of the network engineer.

Switch 3 --->  top switch in the stack - manually set stack priority as 15.

Switch 2  ----> middle switch in the stack -- manually set stack priority as 13.

Switch 1 ----> bottom switch in the stack  -- manually set stack priority as 14.

During the UPs maintenance activity at the customer site , we are following below sequence while powering down switches.

Switch 2 then Switch 1 then switch 3 will be powered down.

I would like to change stack priority of switch 2 as 14 and Switch 1 as 13 .

Question 1:

If I change the stack priority on switch 2 and switch 1 , do I need to reboot whole the stack so that new priorities for switch 2 and switch 1 would change to new values.

Any precautions should be taken while changing stack priority on switch 2 and switch 1 .

Note : Three switches are running same IOS on them.

Question 2 :

Stack cable connected between switch 2 and switch 1 is not detected.We have checked the "stack" status by reconnecting the cable between them but no luck.

How to check whether its stack cable problem or stack port problem on respective switch.

Customer Switch 1 #sh switch detail 
                                           H/W   Current
Switch#  Role   Mac Address     Priority Version  State 
----------------------------------------------------------
 1       Member ---------------    13     3       Ready               
 2       Member ---------------    14      3       Ready               
*3       Master --------------     15     3       Ready               

Stack Port Status             Neighbors     
Switch#  Port 1     Port 2           Port 1   Port 2 
--------------------------------------------------------
  1       Down        Ok              None       3 
  2        Ok        Down               3      None
  3        Ok         Ok                1        2 

Thank you..

Thanks , M S K
1 Reply 1

Reza Sharifi
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Hi,

How to check whether its stack cable problem or stack port problem on respective switch.

Most of the time the issue is the stack cable and not the port.  Try inserting the cable all the way into the slot.  With 3750x switches the slots are narrow and some times you need a flash light to look to make sure the cable is in all the way.

If I change the stack priority on switch 2 and switch 1 , do I need to reboot whole the stack so that new priorities for switch 2 and switch 1 would change to new values.

Yes, reboot the entire stack, after the election switch 2 should be 14 and switch 1 13.

I would correct the stacking cable issue as well before rebooting.

HTH

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card