cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

3750X trunking issue

churchillma
Level 1
Level 1

Ok, I'm having a problem with some new gear and can't seem to figure it out.  I have a 3750X-48P-S with a C3KX-10G-NM using SFP-10G-LR transceivers and I'm trying to trunk that with a 6509 that has a X2-10G-LR transceiver over single mode fiber.  This is not working.  Cisco TAC says the SFP+'s that we just got brand new are both bad and we need to order new ones.  I find that hard to believe but who knows.

The switch recognized the module and I tested all 4 ports in gigabit mode using GLC-SX-MM transceivers, all worked great.  I have the SFP+'s in tengig1/1/1 and 1/1/2 as they should be.  There are no other SFP's in the module either.

When I do a sho int tengig1/1/1 and 1/1/2 the media type doesn't show the transceiver that is installed like it does for the GLC-SX-MM ones.  Maybe it's not supposed to or maybe it just doesn't recognize them and it's a hardware issue.  I have no idea.

Any ideas or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

5 Replies 5

Reza Sharifi
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Since neither one the 10Gig SPF+ is working, I think, you have bad 10Gig module.  Have a look at the pins on the modules  and make sure they are all straight.  To make sure the fiber is good, are you using the same fiber patch for both 1Gig and 10Gig connectivity?

HTH

I am using the same fiber patch cord and have swapped that out for brand new ones to make sure.  I used the same X2-10G module on the 6509 when I successfully brought up the links using the GLC-SX-MM transceivers on the 3750X so I'm pretty sure that is good to go too.

I hope your SFP+ serial numbers do not start with "AV". 

Please elaborate.

I'm trying to avoid using Avago-manufactured SFP/SFP+.  Avago is one of the Cisco suppliers for SFP/SFP+ modules.  (They are legitimate manufacturer of Cisco-branded SFP/SFP+.)  Unfortunately, I've been getting alot of issues with the Avago SFP/SFP+ and Cisco has release a few "bugs" particularly with this manufacturer's product.   So if I receive Avago products from Cisco, I will return it and insist that the replacement are not from this manufacturer.

Short story, Avago products can be easily identified by looking at the serial number.  IF it starts with "AV" then it's Avago.

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card