cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

3850-24XS-S Stuck in Boot Loop

Jim Matuska
Level 1
Level 1

We have a 3850-24XS-S Switch that I tried to downgrade to an older IOS cat3k_caa-universalk9.SPA.03.06.05.E.152-2.E5.bin to match the rest of the switches in my switch stack.

Unfortunately this turned out to be an incompatible image with this switch model and the switch is stuck in a loop on booting and gives a %IOSXEBOOT-4-ABORT: (rp/0): Package provisioning file {/tmp/packages.conf} does not exist. Error.

I was able to break out of the boot loop and tried to boot from a newer IOS image that is compatible with this switch that I put on a usb flash drive but this didn't seem to work. 

What is the recovery procedure to get this switch to boot to the old image or another image that I can use to then upgrade to a supported image file? 

5 Replies 5

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Use the "emergency-install" command.  

Emergency Recovery

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Post the boot up process.  There is a hardware bug where the appliance is shipped with 16.X but cannot be downgraded to 3.6.X.  The lowest version it could go is 3.7.X.

CSCva22409

That's pretty much what I did. Tried to downgrade to match my other 3850s in my stack and now it won't boot. If I break out to the switch prompt can I find the original newer version and boot to it or install a. Bin file from USB without having to use a tftp server? Also what would you recommend for an ios version for production use for this and 3 48port 3850s with poe gig ports in a stack?

Jim

Use the latest 3.7.X. See first if this switch boots this version.

Prakash1
Level 1
Level 1

Hi NPT,

This is comman issue in this device , you have to take switch to switch: mode first.

then process is :

1.switch:FLASH_INIT

2.switch:dir flash:

you will get flash file information there .

3.boot flash:packages.conf

i hope this will help to you and your issue will be resolved.

Prakash~

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card