cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

3850 Enable Mode Reset - Factory Default

Dan Man
Level 1
Level 1

I had configured a 3850 so that I could implement it into our environment.  Once I had finished the configuration, I reloaded the switch just to make sure everything was ok.  I hadn't set a password for the console, so when the switch booted up, it took me directly to the user mode prompt.  I typed in enable, and it prompted me for the enable mode password that I had set.  When I entered it, it gave me an "access denied".  I know what I entered as the enable mode password, but it continue to deny me.  I wanted to try a password reset, but since my issue wasn't with the line password, the password recovery instructions just put me back at the user prompt.  I followed all of the instructions for a reset.  Is there any other instruction that someone can give me to reset the enable mode password?  I also tried resetting the switch to factory defaults, but the instructions to do that didn't work either.  Any information is appreciated.  

7 Replies 7

Carlos Villagran
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hi!

Please refer to the following link to make the switch go to factory default:

http://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/switches/lan/catalyst3850/hardware/quick/guide/cat3850_gsg.html

Step 1 If you are using Cisco IOS XE Release 3.6.0E or later releases, enter the erase startup-config privileged EXEC command to clear the contents of your startup configuration.If you are using an earlier release, you can skip this step.

Step 2 Press and hold the Mode button. The switch LEDs begin blinking after about 3 seconds.

Step 3 Continue holding down the Mode button. The LEDs stop blinking after 7 more seconds, and then the switch restarts.

Step 4 The switch now operates like an unconfigured switch. You can enter the switch IP information by using Express Setup as described in the “Running Express Setup” section.

Hope it helps!

JC

Carlos,

Thank you for your reply!  Unfortunately, I can only get to user mode (Example: switch>) and not privilege EXEC mode(switch#).   If I skipped step 1, and tried holding the mode button, it should reset the switch back to factory default?  When I hold the mode button, the lights turn amber, and the switch goes to a rommon type mode( switch:).  Thank you for your help!

Another option if helps

when you get to switch:

You can initialize flash ----flash_init

Then dir flash:

This will show you all the files then just delete the conf file and leave the image file

delete flash:config.text

If you don't see config file in in flash try dir nvram:

Once the config files are deleted it will just boot to as you bought it nothing configured , just don't delete the image

It doesn't work en 3850.

No config.file or config.txt

Can you tell what is exactly the file to be deleted ?

"enter the erase startup-config privileged EXEC"

Can you write the exact command ?

nirajkumar1048
Level 1
Level 1

How to factory reset switch 3850.

got same question, also there is a reset command in switch mode , what is that one for ?

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card