Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

3850 IP Base Multicast routing between SVI's

Hi,

I have a L3 3850 Stack with IP Base license and just need to enable multicast routing between two VLAN's (SVIA and SVIB) on the switch. (no other L3 PIM devices/transit). The switch uses static routing for unicast traffic via another SVI to an ASA. (so no EIGRP or mcast 'uplink' interfaces)

Do I need anything other than below to achieve above in my scenario?  (Cisco doc says for Pim Stub mode I also need to configure EIGRP stub and a physical uplink with PIM sparse dense on it, but unsure if this is only if need to receive mcast traffic from uplink?)  

Thanks

ip multicast routing

int vlan A

ip pim passive

int vlan B

ip pim passive

2 Replies 2

Reza Sharifi
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Hi,

Since this is only for 2 vlans, "ip pim passive" should be sufficient. If for some reasons it does not work, you may want to enable "ip pim sparse-dense-mode" on both SVIs and test.

HTH

Hi all,

Need some help with a similar issue - I have a multicast source in one server VLAN in a 3850XS running IP BASE and the receiving hosts in a UAD Vlan on the same switch. I do have an ISR4331 WAN Router running IP Services two hops away separated by another 3850 running IP BASE so was wondering do I create a loopback on this device with an RP and IP PIM Passive on the 3850 VLANS/ and would I need an IGMP helper on the 3850XS?

Thanks

Paul

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card