Helpful
Replies

3850 mode button

Bob Greer
Level 4
Level 4

Hi there,

Thanks for reading.

I'm trying to do a password recovery.  My process is 1) reseat power 2) press MODE button for 15-20 seconds 3) watch switch boot straight into login prompt.

The SYST LED goes amber briefly but the STAT never lights up.  I'm sure it's my method.

Help?

Thanks!

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

dcoonce84
Level 1
Level 1

I believe your on the right track. I've always had a hard time with it. don't stop pressing the mode button until all the system LEDs turn on and remain solid.

according to the steps:

SUMMARY STEPS

1.    Connect a terminal or PC to the switch.

2.    Set the line speed on the emulation software to 9600 baud.

3.    Power off the standalone switch or the entire switch stack.

4.    Reconnect the power cord to the or the active switch. Within 15 seconds, press the Mode button while the System LED is still flashing green. Continue pressing the Mode button until all the system LEDs turn on and remain solid; then release the Mode button.

5.    After recovering the password, reload the switch or the active switch .

6.    Power on the remaining switches in the stack.

Found here:

http://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/switches/lan/catalyst3850/software/release/3se/system_management/configuration_guide/b_sm_3se_3850_cg/b_sm_3se_3850_cg_chapter_01110.html#task_1021182

I hope I have help, be patient with it.

View solution in original post

2 Replies 2

dcoonce84
    Level 1
    Level 1

I believe your on the right track. I've always had a hard time with it. don't stop pressing the mode button until all the system LEDs turn on and remain solid.

according to the steps:

SUMMARY STEPS

1.    Connect a terminal or PC to the switch.

2.    Set the line speed on the emulation software to 9600 baud.

3.    Power off the standalone switch or the entire switch stack.

4.    Reconnect the power cord to the or the active switch. Within 15 seconds, press the Mode button while the System LED is still flashing green. Continue pressing the Mode button until all the system LEDs turn on and remain solid; then release the Mode button.

5.    After recovering the password, reload the switch or the active switch .

6.    Power on the remaining switches in the stack.

Found here:

http://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/switches/lan/catalyst3850/software/release/3se/system_management/configuration_guide/b_sm_3se_3850_cg/b_sm_3se_3850_cg_chapter_01110.html#task_1021182

I hope I have help, be patient with it.

Bob Greer
      Level 4
      Level 4

The problem is in the directions: hold the button for 10-15 seconds (or 15-20 seconds).  It should say: Hold the button til the lights go amber.

Thanks again for your help!

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card