cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

3850 multicast video

Mike Assel
Level 4
Level 4

I have a 3850 that has a multicast video encoder connected to it. I've tested playback with variety of decoders (primarily VLC player) that are connected to the same switch and the video is terrible. Multicast has been configured properly on the network. If I move the encoder to a different switch on the network, playback is fine. So at this point I'm thinking there is something going on on the 3850 that is causing packets to dropped somewhere, but "show int summary" shows no dropped packets on the encoder interface or the port I've been using to test playback. There is QoS configured on the switch, but it has been removed from the encoder and test interfaces. 

I don't know what else to check or what might be causing this issue. 

Thanks, Mike

2 Replies 2

marce1000
VIP
VIP

- Check show logging periodically , watchout for any abnormal messages.

M.

-- ' 'Good body every evening' ' this sentence was once spotted on a logo at the entrance of a Weight Watchers Club !

Hi Mike

It does sound like you've isolated the problem as being on the 3850 switch.

I've implemented multicast on 3850 switches for a couple of customers. Like you I've used VLC as a receiver to test functionality and performance. I also use another endpoint running VLC as a multicast server. It would be interesting to see if you can re-create the problem with VLC as a source running multicast, instead of the source device where you are observing the issue.

You could also stream unicast on VLC between the endpoints to see if the problem is with multicast itself or packets being switched between the interfaces on the 3850.

HTH

Si

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card