cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

3850 SFP+ model?

james
Level 1
Level 1

Can a Cisco rep answer when there will be a 12/16/24/etc SFP+ only version of the Catalyst 3850 to replace the WS-C3750X-12S?

11 Replies 11

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame
12/16/24/etc SFP+

SFP-only switch?

10Gig SFP+ not 1Gig SFP preferably.

I highly doubt Cisco would make a SFP 1Gig only switch these days.

There was the 3560E-12D. But that's EoL now.

Sure you can buy a 4500X, but it doesn't stack with the 3850, obviously & its 3x more expensive than the competitors.

Raise this issue with your Cisco SE/AM (not your authorized reseller) and request for a Product Enhancement Request (PER).

If there is enough noise from customer, then Cisco will manufacture this. 

You can start ordering the all-fibre 3850 (12- and 24-ports) by June 2014.  

10 Gbps uplink module will be available by December 2014.

Eric_Wu
Level 1
Level 1

We asked that and one of the product managers said its not in the works. :( which is sad! But I see them making one in the future.

Sent from Cisco Technical Support iPad App

Well thats dissapointing, means spending $30K, for two 4500X just to provide dual fibre uplinks, won't fly with management.

Cisco will lose business......

If all you want is 2 10Gb connections to the core of your network then the 3850 does have the option of up to 4 SFP+:

• 2 x 10 Gigabit Ethernet with SFP+ or 4 x Gigabit Ethernet with SFP

• 4 x 10 Gigabit Ethernet with SFP+ (supported on the 48-port models only)

No, not 2 SFP ports, about 10.

The C3K is used as a core switch in many small branch sites with only ~20 users in the main office, where companies would seriously baulk at paying $30K extra just for fibre aggregation.

Standard branch for many parts of the world...

Server 1 - 2x10G Nics

Server 2 - 2x10G Nics

SAN      - 2x10G Nics

Remote switch 1 - 2x 1000BaseSX

Remote switch 2 - 2x 1000BaseSX

Remote switch 3 - 2x 1000BaseSX

Remote switch 4 - 2x 1000BaseSX

etc

--------------------------------------------------------------------

The C3K has always had a fibre aggregation model before... This 3850 would be the first model ever not to have a fibre option!!!

3508G XL

3550-12G

3560E-12D

3560E-12SD

3750G-12S-12

3750-24FS-24

We asked that and one of the product managers said its not in the works. 

Hi Eric,

I just saw your response.

Tell your Cisco SE that you want a PER raised.  Nay, INSIST to your Cisco SE that you want a PER raised.  And don't take "no" for an answer.  The WNBU is looking for feedbacks in regards to this model of switch.

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Hi Eric,

I just got back from Cisco Live 2013 (Melbourne) and I cornered someone in the know and managed to squeeze the following information:

1.  Cisco might be making some major announcement about the 3750X soon, in the next 5 to 8 months and it could be the End-of-Sale announcement.  This bit of information was not spelled out by the Cisco guy but I "cornered" him that he couldn't "get away", if you catch my drift.

2.  Regarding the all SFP/SFP+ model, he said "not this year".  The SFP/SFP+ model is being considered but he said "not seriously" because the Business Unit has not heard of anything concrete from customers.

SO what I'm saying is this, contact your SE and insist that he raise a Product Enhancement Request (PER).  If he DOES NOT want to, get him to put it down in a writting and create a TAC Case.

Please be aware that the all-fibre model MAY NOT have a built-in WLC (make sense). 

paul.gordon
Level 1
Level 1

I agree that an SFP-only model of the 3850 would be most useful, especially for smaller networks that are using the 3850 as a collapsed core/building distribution switch. Price-wise, a couple of stacked 3850s is a lot more attractive to most customers than a pair of 4500s.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card