Views
Helpful
Replies

3850 Stack - Few Queries

GRANT3779
Spotlight
Spotlight

Hi,

Am I able to mix and match IPservices and IPbase licenses in a 3850 stack? I have done this on the 3750s before no problem. I assume also i can use the C3850-NM-4-10G with either feature set, regardless of it being services/base?

What is the maximum number of switches i can have in a 3850 stack? I know it used to be 4, but being raised to 9. Is this available and is there a special platform hardware/software version required for the 9 stack capability?

Thanks

3 Replies 3

jc84_
Level 1
Level 1

Hi Grant,

- You are not able to mix and match IP Services and IP Base licenses on Cisco 3850 stacks.  You will run into 'license mis-match errors' and stacking will not be successful.

- Correct on the 10G module.  Its not dependent on IOS-XE version.

- As of Cisco IOS XE Release 3.3.0SE you can stack 9 members. 

*Please rate helpful posts.

Thanks for the info El Jefe.

A few more queries - I'd be looking to connect a couple of different 3850 stacks together (more than 2m apart) via etherchannel using the 10GB ports on the module. I see there are many different SFPs available. Does it matter which one you use or does each serve a specific need?

I'm looking at the following - SFP-10G-SR. Using the correct cabling of course as well. Are these OK to use for linking the switches?

I see the likes of these also - Cisco SFP-H10GB-CU3M . When would these be used? Is this for shorter distances?

Hi Grant,

The SFP-10G-SR is a multi-mode SFP+ - these can typically span a few hundred meters, all depending on the fibre used.

SFP-H10GB are passive copper cables - twinax.  They can also be used for 10G connectivity.  In the end it depends on the distance and what each device accepts.  Twinax usually bears a significant cost savings vs MMF at shorter distances.

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card