Views
Helpful
Replies

3850 stack member addition.

eagles-nest
Level 1
Level 1

Hi

Am I overlooking something when I try to add a new member to a 3850 stack ?  I added a 4th member to an existing stack and the whole stack rebooted.  The new member was there once the stack came back online but I didn't expect the whole stack outage.

The only documentation I can find seems to suggest an additional member can be added transparently.  Do I need to add a switch provision command prior to adding the switch ?

Thanks, Stuart.                  

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

I added a 4th member to an existing stack and the whole stack rebooted.

This is a normal behaviour if the new stack switch was POWERED ON when you connected the cable. 

When you add a new stack member to an exisiting stack, bear in mind that the new stack member must be POWERED OFF before connecting the stacking cables. 

View solution in original post

3 Replies 3

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

I added a 4th member to an existing stack and the whole stack rebooted.

This is a normal behaviour if the new stack switch was POWERED ON when you connected the cable. 

When you add a new stack member to an exisiting stack, bear in mind that the new stack member must be POWERED OFF before connecting the stacking cables. 

Ah, of course. 

I've done this tons of times on 3750's and totally forgot to leave this new 3850 off until cabled up.  I think old age is catching up with me.

Thanks Leo.

Thanks for taking the time to rate our posts, Stuart. 

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card