cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

3850 Switch Stack - 2nd Switch - Ports not active

hutcha4113
Level 1
Level 1

We just had a failure of our Core Switches (Cisco 3750 - stacked).  Fortunately we had already purchased 3850's with the necessary stacking cables.  We were also able to pull the configuration off the Core from the 2nd member.

I have the two 3850's in the rack, and the Stacking Cables connected (Port 1 to 2, and 2 to 1).  The stack is coming up, both are at "ready" state, and redundancy is at Active and Standby "HOT).

The issue however is that the Switch Ports are only active on Switch 1 (Active).  Anything plugged into TenGigabitEthernet 1/0/1 -> 1/0/24 works fine.

Anything plugged into 2/0/1 -> 2/0/24 does not.  There are no link lights, etc.  It is almost like the 2nd switch is just "mirroring" the 1st switch (port 1/0/1 to 24) instead of seeing both banks of switch ports.

In our old Core Switch, we had devices plugged into Switch 1 and Switch 2.  We want the same configuration here.

What am I missing?

Priority is set (15 on Switch 1, and 10 on Switch 2).  

7 Replies 7

Reza Sharifi
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Do both switches have the same exact license and IOS installed?

What is the output of "sh switch det"?

Do the second set of ports (2/0/1-2/0/24) show up in the "sh ip int brie" command?

HTH

I had to leave for the day, but will try those commands tomorrow, and post the results.

However - can you advise - how is the 2nd switch supposed to behave, when it is only a 2 switch stack?  It was more like the 2nd switch was just mirroring the 1st switch, ready to take over its network port configurations if it went down.  There was no active lights, etc. on any of the ports on Switch two - despite having active devices plugged into them.

Post the complete output to the command "sh switch detail".
What IOS-XE version is the 3850 stack running on?

image.png

image.png

That range shows up (2/0/1 -> 24).  Right now I have wiped the switch and gone back to defaults.  Nothing is plugged in at the moment.

What license should I have?  On right to use -> lanbase is what I am seeing.  

I'd recommend you upgrade the firmware and see if it fixes things.
Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card