Views
Helpful
Replies

3850 switch upgrade - move to Denali or not

bberry
Level 1
Level 1

Hello,

We are about to start the process of relocating our headquarters and as part of this I am moving all our access switches. They currently run 03.03.05SE and are occasionally displaying %SYS-3-CPUHOG: Task is running for (2310)msecs, more than (2000)msecs (2/2),process = SNMP ENGINE. Since the resolution for this is to upgrade the code I figured now would be a good time to do it. I have noticed though that there is two different trains of IOS for this platform. One is in my existing train and would move me to 03.06.08E and the other would move me into the Denali train with 16.03.06. Is there something that gives me some guidance into how I should proceed? Maybe something to compare the two trains to help me understand the differences? I am thinking to simply stay with the 03.06.08 but if there is an advantage of moving into the newer Denali train that would become the best process.

Thanks in advance ...

3 Replies 3

balaji.bandi
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

As per the lot of Cisco discussion future is 16, i believe development will stop for 3.X soon, as per my  understanding

For Cisco Catalyst 3850 Series Switches and Cisco Catalyst 3650 Series Switches, Cisco IOS XE Release 3.7E has merged with Cisco IOS XE Denali 16.1.x. Most features supported on Cisco IOS XE Release 3.7E are also supported on Cisco IOS XE Denali 16.1.x".

Compare the device compatability and tech notes before you upgrade, if it live make sure you have all backup configuration and do the task in change window.

BB

***** Rate All Helpful Responses *****

How to Ask The Cisco Community for Help

addition to my previous post, from my links i found good document for reference :

https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/support/docs/ios-nx-os-software/ios-xe-1611/200419-IOS-XE-to-IOS-mapping-and-Feature-set-no.html

BB

***** Rate All Helpful Responses *****

How to Ask The Cisco Community for Help

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame
Unless you've got operational reasons to go 3.7.X and later, stick with the latest 3.6.X because it is more stable than 16.X.X.
Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card