Views
Helpful
Replies

3850 UDLD Error after upgrade to 16.6.7

Joris Deprouw
Level 1
Level 1

Hi Guys,

I have a strange issue with several WS-3850-24XS switches.

Recently we have upgraded 14 WS-3850-24XS switches from version 16.3.7 to 16.6.7.

After the upgrade of the switches we noticed on 5 out of 14 devices that several interfaces (between 1 and 10 ports) were in err-disable due to UDLD.

We reloaded the switch a second time….without result. When tried replacing the GBIC, but this did not solve the issue.

When resetting the old uplink port to default and re-applying the config, the issue is not solved.

When moving the existing GBIC to another free port and re-applying the same config the issue is solved.

We have moved all the impacted ports to other free ports on the same switch, so everything is working fine now.

I have upgraded several customers to version 16.6.7 without issues. I’m wondering if it’s maybe hardware related. Since only 5 out of 14 switches are showing this issue at this customer.

Thanks,

J.

10 Replies 10

Hello, 

I checked for bugs, none really seem to apply. Does this happen in both udld and udld aggressive mode ?

Hi Georg,
I didn't try to change the UDLD mode, but in this case UDLD normal mode has been activated on all of the switches. Their config is based on a template, so UDLD normal mode is the standard setup, also configured on the switches which didn't have the issue.
I didn't find any bugs either...16.6.7 should be a stable version according to Cisco tac time.
Br,
Joris

Hi
Ive hit issues like that on 16.6.6 , we did same thing moved to another 10GB uplink in the 8 port 10GB module , i dont think its hardware , just wasnt bothered upgrading as its stable image other than that but ye ive seen that problem between floors in remote offices where we are running 16.6.6 on 3650s , same ios-xe as 3850

oh an we especially seen it in stacks more , the second module in second switch first couple ports wouldnt work for a while kept going err-disabled but we eventually got them up after a few reboots

Hi Mark,
Thanks for your feedback. We actually don't have any stacks. So they are all standalone switches.
So it might be an undocumented bug. I might try to upgrade to 16.9.4
Thanks,
Joris

Hello Joris,

the only thing I could find was something about a missing native Vlan in the Vlan database that might cause the errors. Do you have trunks configured with a different native Vlan than the default (1) ?

Hi Georg,
Indeed I saw that same issue as well. Not different native vlan in our configuration...
Br,
Joris

What ports are these? Where they 1- or 10 Gbps ports?
If these are 10 Gbps ports then look at CSCvo55360 &/or CSCvg48154.

HI Leo,
The ports are 1G and 100M.
Br,
Joris

What? 100 Mbps? What module are these issues appearing on, GLC-TX????

The impacted ports have a mix of (GLC-SX-MM) 1000BaseSX SFP and (GLC-FE100FX) 100BaseFX SFP inserted
Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: