cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

3850 with IOS-XE 16.1.X Denali - What happened to Smartports?!?

bascheew
Level 1
Level 1

I upgraded a stack of 3850 switches to 16.1.3 and to my dismay, SmartPort macros are gone!  If macros have been depreciated, what's the replacement to statically apply settings to ports that connect to common devices -- switches, routers, phones, desktops, servers, etc?

4 Replies 4

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

SmartPort macros are gone!

That's not good news for me.  I am a big user of SmartPort Macros.  I know Cisco has been threatening to remove this hidden feature since 12.2(58)SE train in favour of AUTO SmartPort (ASP).  

Have you tried 16.2.X?  

Another option is to talk to your Cisco AM/SE and ask them to raise a Product Enhancement Request (PER) with the 3650/3850 developers.  

I've just tested the AUTO SmartPorts and it's buggy.  I have a 3560 plugged in and it can't properly detect the type of port it should assign:

%AUTOSMARTPORT-5-INSERT: Device Un-Classified Device detected on interface GigabitEthernet1/0/1, executed CISCO_LAST_RESORT_EVENT

I don't have time to debug this so I'm going to downgrade back to 3.7.  When I plug in a router or ports on a patch panel or another switch I don't need to move them around - I'd rather it be static!

Talk to your Cisco AM/SE and ask them to raise a Product Enhancement Request (PER) for the 3650/3850 developers to reinstate SmartPort Macro.

Ok, this does NOT make any sense:  If Cisco wants to get rid of SmartPort Macros then how come the newly released (April 2016) Sup6T supports SmartPort Macros (IOS version 15.3SY)?

Sup2T also supports SmartPort Macros

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card