Views
Helpful
Replies

4 Cisco Nexus 9300 design

amsrus
Level 1
Level 1

Hello all,

I need to migrate to Cisco Nexus9300. And I have not very large numbers of ports about 80. Earlier, I could make two nexus 9300 in VPC domain and connect two FEX 2000 series. Now, I see that FEX 2000 is end of sale status. What is the best practice to connect four nexus? What is the best design?

4 Replies 4

Mark Malone
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni
Hi
you would still need 2 VPC domains , we have a 7k with 2 sets of 5ks connected but they are all in separate VPC domains , you cant have 4 in 1 , 2 is the max , there are new 9k fexes too you could use with teh 9300s too , fex support i think is from v9.2 to support older 2ks and B22 fex models

https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/switches/datacenter/nexus9000/hw/interoperability/fexmatrix/fextables.html

Mark thank you very much!

I think to use separate VPC domain too. But I have one more question. I don't understand which licence I should chose.

In estimate I see two type of licence:

1) Essentials/Advantage License

ACI-ES-XF

ACI-AD-XF

2) Legacy NX-OS Software Licenses

N93-LIC-PAK

I don't need ACI features, I need standard nx OS features as VPC, OSPF BGP and so on. What kind of licence I need to chose?

Non ACI license anyway N93-LIC-PAK , think thats just the expansion, for routing youl need an L3 license too especially for full IGPs and BGP

This is off my 9300 below i do full routing on it

xxxxxxxxxxxx# sh ver | i 93
cisco Nexus9000 93180YC-EX chassis
xxxxxxxxxxxx# sh license
license_FDO2xxxxxx_19.lic:
SERVER this_host ANY
VENDOR cisco
INCREMENT LAN_ENTERPRISE_SERVICES_PKG cisco 1.0 permanent uncounted \

This doc shows you exactly what each license will give you in features , just search 9000 for 9ks licenses in the doc

https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/switches/datacenter/sw/nx-os/licensing/guide/b_Cisco_NX-OS_Licensing_Guide/b_Cisco_NX-OS_Licensing_Guide_chapter_01.html

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card