Views
Helpful
Replies

4006 switch a few ports were hung

Richard.Jeff
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

Recently I had an issue with my 4006 switch. The switch has 5 line cards and a few ports in three of the modules lost layer 3 access. I mean to say, the ports were learning the mac adress but the users connected to those ports were not able to access their applicaions.

Soft resetting the modules one by one did not help the issue so I had to hard reboot the entire switch to fix the same.

I could not see any IOS bug causing this trouble.

I am curious enogh to know the reason why this happened( the possible reason) and what can be done as precaution to avoid such circumstances in future ...

Please do help...

Thanks

4 Replies 4

Jon Marshall
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Richard.Jeff wrote:

Hi,

Recently I had an issue with my 4006 switch. The switch has 5 line cards and a few ports in three of the modules lost layer 3 access. I mean to say, the ports were learning the mac adress but the users connected to those ports were not able to access their applicaions.

Soft resetting the modules one by one did not help the issue so I had to hard reboot the entire switch to fix the same.

I could not see any IOS bug causing this trouble.

I am curious enogh to know the reason why this happened( the possible reason) and what can be done as precaution to avoid such circumstances in future ...

Please do help...

Thanks

Richard

Not much to go on i'm afraid. It could be a hardware fault with the module or it could be some configuration on your switch. When users lost connectivity were they trying to access applications within their vlan or were they trying to access a remote vlan. If a remote vlan could they ping their default-gateway ?

Jon

glen.grant
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

What supervisor module and what code version is it running.  I know in earlier catos versions they

had issues like what you are describing where certain groups (asics) would basically go to sleep and stop talki
ng. This was a code issue in the catos 5.x and 6.x trains.  reloading the box would  usually fix it for the time being.

Hi,

ThankYou for the valuable input.

The code running is 5-5-3.bin and the sup module is sup ll

Thanks

Thats right when that was an issue , if you can get your hands on something newer  like late 6.X train or  7.X train it will fix the issue.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: