Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

4500 PoE hardware failures! Port stop providing poe

Folks,

Few days ago I faced a issue in which one of ours 4500 stopped providing poe on some ports in one line card. I called TAC and ran some diagnostics. However, there is a command that I found and it is NOT DOCUMENTED on 4500 reference guide! The command is "diagnostic monitor poe". This command actually detects/recover POE hardware failures! After executing this command, poe start to work again! So, if anyone are running into this, please keep this command in mind!

HTH

Thiago Henriques

4 Replies 4

I had a similar issue, however I tried that command and it seems it's not a recognized command?

SWI02#diagnostic ?

start  Starting on demand diagnostic

That is the only option I have on my 4506 [cisco WS-C4506 (MPC8245) processor], Currently running Version 12.2(31)SG, RELEASE SOFTWARE (fc2).

Thanks

Mandlenkosi,

Here we have 12.2.52.SG and this command worked. The weird thing is the fact of this command not being documented. Also, try some of the diagnostics on the failed module and see if help. Otherwise, try to upgrade the IOS on it to see if help.

HTH,

Thiago Henriques

Mandlenkosi,

Are you on config t? If not, this commands needs to be executed on "config t". It looks like you are on enable prompt only.

HTH,

Thiago Henriques

Tried both and would not do...

I guess maybe the key is the code difference.

Thanks anyway.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card