cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

4500-X VSS Pair ISSU Questions

jmeggers
Level 1
Level 1

I'm trying to get clear on the syntax for doing ISSU on a 4500-X VSS pair. All the examples I see in the documentation seem to be about a 4500 multi-slot chassis, and I'm trying to understand the "command conversion" from a multi-slot chassis to two separate chassis. I'm interpreting that the "active" and "standby" supervisor engines referenced in the documentation refer to chassis-1 and chassis-2 of the 4500-Xs that make up the VSS pair. 

Prep shown in http://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/switches/lan/catalyst4500/15-1-2/XE_340/configuration/guide/config/issu_XE.html shows slot 5 as active and slot 6 as standby. Again, I'm thinking that would correspond to chassis-1 and chassis-2 for 4500-X. 

It looks like when you do the "issu loadversion" command loads the new image on chassis-2, and essentially gets that image ready to take over.

Then you do the "issu runversion" command listing only the standby chassis as parameters, which apparently switches state of the standby unit (chassis-2?) to active. At this point, is chassis-2 now running on the new version and handling traffic? 

Finally, the "issu commitversion" command is run, and this is where I really get lost. This command uses the standby chassis as its parameter, but is that the original standby chassis (chassis-2), or is that what was originally the active chassis (chassis-1)? It seems like this step might be essentially bringing up the original chassis-1 to get them both on the same version of code, and that seems to be what the CLI output in is showing, except that at this point, the roles are reversed and slot 6 is active with slot 5 being standby. 

Or am I making too much out of understanding which is active and which is standby at any given point in the process? Just use "bootflash:" and "slavebootflash:" and follow the instructions?

Thanks for any input. 

1 Reply 1

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

In my personal opinion, I've stopped using Cisco's recommended ISSU/FSU/eFSU process because they break stuff.  

It is a lot easier just to copy the IOS manually to each of the supervisor line cards, change the boot string and reboot the entire chassis.  

The argument of "but with ISSU/FSU/eFSU you have minimal downtime".  Yeah, right.  If ISSU/FSU/eFSU was to be used and the upgrade goes belly-up, you will no longer have a "minimal downtime".   

The last time I did an FSU/eFSU upgrade we had to manually intervene after BOTH chassis would not recover.  

ISSU/FSU/eFSU works very well in a sandpit, lab environment or a marketing demo. 

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card