Views
Helpful
Replies

4500X-16 Upgrade Options

sdawson35
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

We have a pair of 4500X-16's running in VSS mode, unfortunately they are still on 3.6.3E and need upgrading to 3.8.7.

I have read I cannot go directly to 3.8 from 3.6 and the documentation is a little confusing so can I upgrade in the following way ?

3.6.3 -> 3.7.3 -> 3.8.7 ?

Also what is the best method for doing the upgrade ?, I have C.N.A available and command line.

If command line do i use issu or the copy tftp method with a manual reboot ?

Regards

Scott

5 Replies 5

Mark Malone
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni
Hi
where did you read that could you post it please , you should be able to jump from 3.6 to 3.8 you shouldn't need a interim version
It may take a longer upgrade as its bit of jump in code , but i thought you should be able to jump between 3.6 - 3.8 easily
ISSU is flaky sometimes if you can take the hit do

i would console in upload the image to bootflash: and slavebootflash: and set the bootvar in global config

example
conf t
boot-start-marker
boot system bootflash:cat4500e-universalk9.SPA.03.06.07.E.152-2.E7.bin
boot-end-marker

sh bootvar
BOOT variable = bootflash:cat4500e-universalk9.SPA.03.06.07.E.152-2.E7.bin,12;
CONFIG_FILE variable does not exist
BOOTLDR variable does not exist
Configuration register is 0x2102

Thats if you decide to do it in ISSU , if you just upload the images to bootflash and slavebootflash and reload both switches it will be fine 3.6 to 3.8
if you want to do ISSU you will need to check whether they are compatible the image thats on it and the image being uploaded so they can talk during ISSU upgrade as 1 switch each will be different , ISSU can fail anyway sometimes so always prepare for a hit even if doing it by ISSU

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

You can upgrade directly to 3.8.X but only after upgrading the ROMmon.

Please refer to Upgrading the System Software which states: 

If you are upgrading to Cisco IOS XE Release 3.8.xE and plan to use VSS, you must upgrade your ROMMON to IOS Version 15.0(1r)SG11.

Hello,

thank you very much. We have ROM: 15.0(1r)SG12. Therefore, we assume that this ROM version that is greater than 15.0(1r)SG11 is correct to do the upgrade process in a VSS enviroment. Anyway, we have opened a Cisco TAC ticket to make sured. 

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card