Views
Helpful
Replies

4500X or Nexus

blackmetal
Level 1
Level 1

Hello,

We have 40x Rack with Juniper EX4200 as top of rack switches and they have 2x 10g (LACP) which one of the 10g is connected to a 3064pq and another one is connected to another 3064pq and both 3064 are configured as VPC and they are our access swith then we want connected these 3064 to a core switch such as 4500x or 5672up but i am note sure which one should i use?

** if we use 4500x we will use a pair of 4500x in VSS

i will enable the following features:

1. 7x BGP Peers with no full tables

2. i want to use up to 4094SVI

3. some simple lacp for my switches and upstreams 

4. my network throughput is around 20gbps 

5. i do not have much acl just some simpel acl to control switch

6. 2-4x GRE tunnel and 1-2x Gre tunnel may have around 400-500mbps traffic

7. PBR for some vlans to change outbound routes and maybe apply ip tcp mss adjust

i think 4500x is the best option but can 4500x handle this features easily with no performacne impact?

thanks,

4 Replies 4

balaji.bandi
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

If these are DC based network i would suggest Nexus 9K.

Again Look at the feature navigator before you decide.

BB

***** Rate All Helpful Responses *****

How to Ask The Cisco Community for Help

blackmetal
Level 1
Level 1

yes they are using for DC but because we have them already in stock, i want to know if they can handle my work then i will use these instead of buying them 

Hi,

Looking at the datasheets, it appears that both 4500x and 5672 support GRE tunnels and PBRs as I think those are the 2 items you would need to make sure each box can support before deploying them. Overall the 4500x less complicated when it comes to licensing because all you need is the enterprise-level license. You already have the EX-4200 switches as the top of the rack switches (BTW great switches)3and they connect to a set of 3064 switches. Question; if the 3064 supports all the features you need, why do you want to install a 3rd layer switch and add mode latency and complicity?

HTH 

yes they do support - as i have address since you asked the question what switches you looking to move. ?

is this Migration or support move to single vendor ?

BB

***** Rate All Helpful Responses *****

How to Ask The Cisco Community for Help

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card