cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

4500x support for GLC-LH-SMD DOM (10 Gbit modules work fine, but not 1 Gbit)

Jim Matuska
Level 1
Level 1

Do the 4500x switches support DOM capability for GLC-LH-SMD modules?  The 10Gbit LR modules work fine to provide DOM readings with the "show interface transceiver" command but the 1 Gbit modules do not show any DOM readings.  

We are running version 03.06.06.E IOS-XE with the enterprise license.  

What do you think? 

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Hello,

according to the matrix linked below, you need to run 3.7.2E for DOM suppport on the GLC-LH-SMD:

https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/interfaces_modules/transceiver_modules/compatibility/matrix/GE_Tx_Matrix.html#_Toc513557452

View solution in original post

9 Replies 9

Hello,

according to the matrix linked below, you need to run 3.7.2E for DOM suppport on the GLC-LH-SMD:

https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/interfaces_modules/transceiver_modules/compatibility/matrix/GE_Tx_Matrix.html#_Toc513557452

Thanks for the info.  

Is it possible to upgrade a 4500x to 3.7.2E on the 4500x non disruptively or would i have to reboot the switches to get the new software to load?  

There is, really, no such thing as "non-disruptive" IOS upgrade.
What can be done is minimizing the time it takes by taking steps, like VSS/Stack Virtual or HSRP or Etherchannel.

We are running vss between the 2 4500x's but some devices only have one uplink so they will still experience an outage.  I thought some of the newer IOS types supported online upgrades but I guess the 4500x's aren't one of them. 

What about using an ISSU Upgrade?  From what I am reading it seems like that is possible with a 4500x VSS stack with our version of IOS XE. 

You could give it a try.  

Personally, don't use ISSU/FSU/eFSU.

Agree with Leo.

ISSU is long, painful and at the end, you could have a longer outage than the simple reboot.

Get a maintenance window and reboot both at the same time and you will be done in less than 10 minutes.

HTH

Thanks for the info everyone.  Since these are in a VSS stack do you upgrade like you would on a 3850 stack and upload the upgrade file to one switch and run the installer there or do you run the image installer separately for each switch in the vss stack?  

For a 4500 in a VSS, it's as simple as copying the IOS to the primary and stand-by supervisor cards, change the boot variable string, save the config and reboot.
Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card