cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

4500X Upgrade Path from 3.6.7 to 3.11 Recommendation

blake.polk
Level 1
Level 1

Can anyone suggest the correct upgrade path for a 4500X VSS going from 3.6.7 to 3.11.xe? Can't seem to find any documentation on it. Is it safe to assume I can go straight from 3.6.7 to 3.11.xe?

24 Replies 24

thx for the answer. but how does the switch skip the first boot command after upgrading the rommon? like I'm curious about the logic?

@baselzind wrote:

thx for the answer. but how does the switch skip the first boot command after upgrading the rommon? like I'm curious about the logic?

In every appliance, the bootup process will determine if the ROMMON will need to be updated or not.  If not, then it skips the process. 

Note that this step takes time.  If the switch ROMMON is already updated, take the ROMMON boot statement off so the appliance will boot a lot faster.

Hi Leo

Do the licenses on the switch change based on these steps?

Thanks, John

No, the license are not touched.

Hi, sorry to hijack an old thread, but will this process work on 03.06.05.E.152-2.E5?

I am looking to upgrade to the latest version and have never done this before on 4500X so want to get it right.

Thanks

Yes, the thread is valid for Catalyst 4500X, including Sup7. 

The latest firmware that can support 4500X and Sup7 (unofficially) is 3.11.9, however, there is an SSH I want to warn everyone about:  CSCwi02895

The unofficial workaround is to configure EEM.

Thanks, so to be clear I can go from my old version of 03.06.05, straight to 3.11.9 (or something like 3.11.6E to avoid the SSH bug)? 

Direct upgrade to 3.11.9 is supported.  

Great thanks, can I also go from ROM: 15.0(1r)SG12 to 15.0(1r)SG15?

Direct ROMMON upgrade is supported and highly recommended.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card