Views
Helpful
Replies

4500X VSS Dual active detection options

eagles-nest
Level 1
Level 1

Hi

I see the 4500X now supports VSS.  However when I look at the usual Dual Active detection options I see there is only ePAgP and BFD.  In fact is there even BFD ?

In a document I found it only discussed ePAgP which is fine if your attached devices can do that.

Can anyone clarify the options for dual active detection and whether a dedicated link for BFD is an option.  Do we do 2 methods of detection as was previously advised on the 6500 chassis ?

Thanks for your input.

St.

7 Replies 7

eagles-nest
Level 1
Level 1

From what I can find it seems that a trusted ePAgP channel is the only option for Dual active detection.  With that in mind does anyone know if I can do that via a channel to a Sup 2e 4506 and what version IOS is needed ?

Many thanks, St.

Hi,

Here is good doc to look at for versions that support VSS on the 4500.

https://supportforums.cisco.com/docs/DOC-29472

HTH

Sorry. The Sup2e is the VSS end Supervisor.  I have a Sup V on the 4500 that I am hoping to use ePAgP through. 

I am looking for a version that allows me to use ePAgP on a Sup V chassis.  I have previoulsy done this via a 3750 stack and had to upgrade to 12.2(55) I think.

Thanks, St.

Hi,

I've done the DAD via ePAgP through 4507R-E chassis. I am using 7LE supvisor.

Cisco IOS Software, IOS-XE Software, Catalyst 4500 L3 Switch Software (cat4500e-UNIVERSALK9-M), Version 03.04.00.SG RELEASE SOFTWARE (fc3)

show pagp dual-active

PAgP dual-active detection enabled: Yes

PAgP dual-active version: 1.1

Channel group 1

Dual-Active     Partner              Partner   Partner

Port      Detect Capable  Name                 Port      Version

Te3/1     Yes             01-0049-407-ag01 Te2/1/1   1.1

Te4/1     Yes             01-0049-407-ag01 Te1/1/1   1.1

I assume it is supported on other 4500 supvisor if you can get the right IOS version. This feature to me is not invovled with hardware too much.

--
Best Regards

-- Best Regards

shillings
Level 4
Level 4

The new 4500-X software release includes support for the latest detection method, called VSLP Fast-Hello's: -

"Support for VSLP Fast Hello—With VSLP Fast Hello, the Catalyst 4500-X configured for VSS can now connect Access Switches that do not support the ePAgP protocol"

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/switches/lan/catalyst4500/release/note/OL_29984-01.html

I've not configured this feature, but Cisco say it has the detection speed of ePAgP without some of the drawbacks, including the need to link via a ePAgP-compatible switch, but one that's not stacked.

Fast-Hello is a direct layer-2 link between the two VSS members, so much easier. It's also described in the VSS Campus 3.0 best practice guide: -

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/solutions/Enterprise/Campus/VSS30dg/VSS-dg_ch4.html

However, I've no idea how stable the latest release is. Perhaps something to consider.

shillings schrieb:

I've not configured this feature, but Cisco say it has the detection speed of ePAgP without some of the drawbacks, including the need to link via a ePAgP-compatible switch, but one that's not stacked.

The new 2960X, 3850 Catalyst Switches... do support ePAgP over cross-stack Etherchannel....

Wladimir Gruenemaier wrote:

shillings schrieb:

The new 2960X, 3850 Catalyst Switches... do support ePAgP over cross-stack Etherchannel....

This May 2013 thread suggests it's not been added, but I don't know myself for sure:

https://supportforums.cisco.com/thread/2219249

LACP will support it, but you probably knew that already.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: