Views
Helpful
Replies

4500x VSS Dual-Active detection

fgasimzade
Level 4
Level 4

Hello,

We have a test environment with 2 4500-x switches in VSS.

We have not configured any dual-active detection, however if we shutdown VSL links, Active switch goes to recovery mode and Standby switch becomes Active

How is it possible if no dual-active detection mechanism is configured?

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

The docs say it can go into active /active mode it doesn't say it always will but with dual enabled it will protect it from that , its a good thing it has not gone onto active /active that means switch was able to work correctly in VSS mode though VSL without it enabled but I would still enable it as its best practice before it goes prod

View solution in original post

3 Replies 3

Mark Malone
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Hi

VSS failover works without the dual-active detection as you seen all that's require in VSL setup between pair   , dual active detection just prevents bot sups frm becoming active , if the VSL fails it initiates a failover but if the chassis is ok and dual-active is not in place you could end up with 2 active chassis causing an issue rather than an active standby which is whats expected after a failover

The thing is that Active switch goes into recovery when I shutdown ALL VSL links, it does not stay in active mode. So I dont really understand how both switches can become active

The docs say it can go into active /active mode it doesn't say it always will but with dual enabled it will protect it from that , its a good thing it has not gone onto active /active that means switch was able to work correctly in VSS mode though VSL without it enabled but I would still enable it as its best practice before it goes prod

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card