Helpful
Replies

4500X VSS Password Recovery issue

John Capobianco
Level 1
Level 1

Hello -

I am trying to recover the password for 4500X in VSS following the guide below:

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/hw/switches/ps4324/products_tech_note09186a0080c17598.shtml

However the config-register is setting to 0x2141 and the configuration file is not being ignored. I am unable to directly set the config-register (the command errors and says to use confreg command) - when I check the SET variables it is 0x2141 and not 0x2142.

The confreg wizard indicates the configuration file will be ignored; and I have cleared the swnum (had to use clear swnum; it would not let me use the VSS_SWITCH_NUMBER=0 command); however the configuration file is still being loaded and I am unable to reset the password.

Does anyone have any insight or suggestions?

Thanks

John

2 Replies 2

John Capobianco
Level 1
Level 1

In order to set 0x2142 you need to answer Y to:

change the boot characteristics? y/n

Then select 2 - this changes the config-register to 0x2142

Also, another difference from the guide, as mentioned above, you need to use the clear swnum command as it does not accept the VSS_SWITCH_NUMBER=0 command

Booting into password recover (no configuration) mode now.

Thanks - solved my own question

Hi John,
I know this thread is old but I am in the same dilemma right now. I have some questions. During the password recovery did you disconnect switch 1 from switch 2 and vice versa? if so, when do you need to connect the switch together? In the documentation, is rommon 1> unset VS_SWITCH_NUMBER command correct when setting the switch to boot to standalone mode?

Thanks in advance John.
Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card