Views
Helpful
Replies

4506 chassis and sup

dave dave
Level 1
Level 1

hi! I've a few questions to verify:

1) Is the IOS and boot flash stored in the SUP or chassis.

2) If there's a hardware failure below:

Chassis failure -  will it work by simply slot in the existing SUP and modules into the new chassis?

Sup failure - does that mean all the existing connectivity and config will be gone? Can i just slot in the new sup and then restore from the backup ios and config? Is the steps correct?

I come across this doc below. do i need to go through all this steps to recover the hardware failure?

http://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/products/collateral/switches/catalyst-4500-series-switches/white_paper_c11-685524.html

Thanks.

4 Replies 4

Marvin Rhoads
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

The IOS image and configuration are generally stored on the supervisor card (and also on backup supervisor card if that's being used).

(You can set a boot variable to boot from a network-based image using tftp but I've seldom seen that used except in rare troubleshooting cases.)

So, in the event of chassis failure the process you noted is the one to follow.

In the event of supervisor failure (and not having a secondary supervisor in standby mode) you will indeed lose all connectivity and configuration. Replacement supervisor (if provided under RMA) should already have a current IOS but if you want to change to a specific version that would be your responsibility. Restoring the configuration from backup would also be your responsibility.

The linked document you referenced is correct with respect to necessary licensing steps.

hi! is the license activation steps required? I don't remember the vendor did the license activation few years back when a faulty sup was replaced.

can i just removed the cf card from the faulty sup, and insert it into the replacement sup (spare sup we salvaged from our head office) and then follow thru these steps?

1) doing CTRL+Break (at the same time) when the sup is powering up

2)  When you’re at the rommon1> prompt  please type:     [Note:You will need to use your correct IOS .bin]

a. command:    BOOT=disk0:s72033-advipservicesk9_wan-mz.122-33.SXI2a.bin

b. command:    Confreg 0x2102

c. command:    sync

d. command:    reset

Thanks.

License activation is not necessary of the TAC ships the replacement unit with the proper license already installed and active. You should always check to verify.

If you are using bootdisk vs. booflash then, yes - you should be able to swap out the bootdisk CF card and thereby transfer the license.

If the replacement sup (exact same model) is a spare unit from our head office that had been used in another retired chassis(same model), will it work if i just swap it if the exisitng unit failed without going through the license activation process again?

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card