cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

4506E (SUP7-E) VSS to 3750X stack MEC and dual active

Dave Mumford
Level 1
Level 1

Hi, I am implementing VSS on a pair of 4506E switches with SUP7-E cards  running 03.04.00.SG, they will be running MEC to access switches which are 3750 stacks. I want to prevent dual active scenario on the 4506, the options I believe I have are:

ePAgP - cant use this as 3750's do not support cross chassis etherchannel which we use.

VSLP

BFD

I dont think that the last 2 options are supported on 4506E (sup7-e) chassis, can anyone confirm this ?

If as I believe they are not supported , how can i address the dual active scenario ????

Any help greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Dave.

1 Reply 1

InayathUlla Sharieff
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Dave,

Following are the modes supported on 4500:

PAGAP :Release IOS XE 3.4.xSG (

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/switches/lan/catalyst4500/15.1.2/XE_340/configuration/guide/vss.html#wp1063718

Fast hello : Supported fromIOS XE 3.5.0 SG

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/switches/lan/catalyst4500/release/note/OL_29984-01.html

2-

The requirements for completing a MultiChassis EtherChannel is a neighbor switch.  A MultiChassis EtherChannel is an EtherChannel with ports that terminate on both chassis of the VSS. Enhanced PAgP , Uses PAgP messaging over the MEC links in order to communicate between the two chassis through a neighbor switch. The Neighbor switch must be able to understand ePAgP.

ePAgP Support Table:
Device Series                          Minimum Cisco IOS Software
Cisco Catalyst 3750         Cisco IOS 12.2(46)SE
Cisco Catalyst 4500         Cisco IOS 12.2(44)SE
Cisco Catalyst 6500         Cisco IOS 12.2(33)SXH
Cisco Catalyst 6500 VSS    Cisco IOS 12.2(33)SXH1

HTH

Regards

Inayath

*Please rate if this info is helpfull.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: