cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

4507 sho run not showing correct information

tcorbett
Level 1
Level 1

Looking at the following output (show interface status) from one of our 4507s I see gig interfaces 3/2 to 3/6 are all trunked (dot1q). When I look at a show run they do not show as trunked. They should indicate switchport trunk encapsulation dot1q and switchport mode trunk (as does interface gig4/2). I have seven other 4507s all running the same IOS: 12.2(25)EWA8 and they all show the same information in show run and show interface status (as far as trunked goes). This is not a problem as I know the interfaces are trunked and working properly I am just puzzled as to why I see this difference.

Here is the sho int gig3/2 trunk. It looks like you are correct. I did not realize some were set to trunk mode on and others were not. I would think the running config would still show the port using dot1q but I guess not. Thank you for your help! At least now I understand why I see a difference.

Tom

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Port        Mode         Encapsulation  Status        Native vlan

Gi3/2       auto         n-802.1q       trunking      1

The n-802.1q under encapsulation means that it was "negotiated" to become a trunk. This is normal.

** Please rate helpful posts **

HTH, John *** Please rate all useful posts ***

View solution in original post

3 Replies 3

John Blakley
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

My first thought is that the port is left in the default state of "dynamic desirable". This will form a trunk if the other end is either listening for a trunk to be created (dynamic auto) or also wanting to create a trunk (dynamic desirable). The switchport won't show anything under the running config because the default settings haven't been changed for the port. You can also do a "show int g3/2 trunk" to see this.

Can you post the "show int g3/2"?

Your g4/2 has been configured manually to be in trunk mode for dot1q encapsulation.

HTH,

John

Port        Mode         Encapsulation  Status        Native vlan

Gi3/2       auto         n-802.1q       trunking      1

The n-802.1q under encapsulation means that it was "negotiated" to become a trunk. This is normal.

** Please rate helpful posts **

tcorbett
Level 1
Level 1

Yes. I see what you are saying. Everything is normal and now it makes sense!

Thanks again for your help!

Tom

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card