Views
Helpful
Replies

5500 Port Survey

Caue W
Level 1
Level 1

Hello!

I'm in the middle of a project, where I need to perform a survey in a 5500 CatOs Switch. There are two (2) 5500 switchs connected togheter, and those 2 switches are connecting other switches from customer (31floor building, each of them with a switch, not all cisco, connected to both 5500 switches at the core layer), for redundancy.

The big issue is, customer documentation is not realible. Description is also not realible. Is there any way I can check which port on 5500 CatOs switch a switch that is installed in any floor is connected too? So I can migrate one port at a time, without worring in downtime to any of the floors?

Thanks!

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

ankbhasi
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hi Friend,

You can issue a "sh cdp nei" command and track all the ports on which you find cisco switches first.

I understand cdp will only work for cisco switches, now for the ports where you do not get any thing in show cdp output and still that port is up this means either some other vendor switch is connected or some end user machines or server or anything else.

You can issue a command "sh cam " an get the mac address learned on that port and then you can go to the first layer 3 hop and issue "sh ip arp " to get the ip address and then try telnet to that ip address. If that is some other vendor manageable switch it should have been configured to allow telnet for management purpose.

That is the only possible ways I can think of to track the devices connected on that switchports.

HTH

Ankur

View solution in original post

2 Replies 2

ankbhasi
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hi Friend,

You can issue a "sh cdp nei" command and track all the ports on which you find cisco switches first.

I understand cdp will only work for cisco switches, now for the ports where you do not get any thing in show cdp output and still that port is up this means either some other vendor switch is connected or some end user machines or server or anything else.

You can issue a command "sh cam " an get the mac address learned on that port and then you can go to the first layer 3 hop and issue "sh ip arp " to get the ip address and then try telnet to that ip address. If that is some other vendor manageable switch it should have been configured to allow telnet for management purpose.

That is the only possible ways I can think of to track the devices connected on that switchports.

HTH

Ankur

If you are lucky enough to have your other switches made by HP they also support CDP .

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card