cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

5548UP NX-OS 7.1.5 upgrade

T_tow
Level 1
Level 1

I'm upgrading from 7.1.4 to 7.1.5 on dual homed Nexus 5548Ups with 2 FEXs hanging from them.  My question is why do I need the provision command for the FEXs if they're already configured and would that delete the existing configs or will that guarantee I won't loss the existing configs?

Thanks

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Peter Paluch
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hello,

I do not believe you strictly need the provision command. The upgrade from 7.1(4)N1(1) to 7.1(5)N1(1) is supported as an ISSU path (if other conditions are met, too) and there is no reason why you should lose your FEX configuration. In this case, the provision command merely adds another layer of resiliency so that, should any unexpected event occur, the switch will still expect that at some point in the future, the FEXes will come in at the specified slot.

Where did you learn about the alleged necessity of using the provision command? Perhaps seeing that document would allow us to understand the context better.

Best regards,
Peter

View solution in original post

2 Replies 2

Peter Paluch
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hello,

I do not believe you strictly need the provision command. The upgrade from 7.1(4)N1(1) to 7.1(5)N1(1) is supported as an ISSU path (if other conditions are met, too) and there is no reason why you should lose your FEX configuration. In this case, the provision command merely adds another layer of resiliency so that, should any unexpected event occur, the switch will still expect that at some point in the future, the FEXes will come in at the specified slot.

Where did you learn about the alleged necessity of using the provision command? Perhaps seeing that document would allow us to understand the context better.

Best regards,
Peter

Hey Peter.  You were right by provisioning I was able to go back and do a sh provision failed-config command and that showed me any configs lost during the upgrade.  I upgraded with no problems though. Thanks

https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/switches/datacenter/nexus5500/sw/upgrade/715_N1_1/n5500_upgrade_downgrade_715_n1_1.pdf

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card