Views
Helpful
Replies

6 3560 switches with inter vlan routing

sarfaraz.kazi
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

I am about to configure 6 3560 switches with intervlan routing. Each switch will have 3 connections terminating each being point to point link and the rest of the other ports will be a separate VLAN carrying user traffic. My question is what do i configure on my 6 switches? Can someone guide me on configuring 3 and i will do the rest since I am very confused what routing protocol to use. I have attached the configuration of one switch but I wont be able to use default route if I have more than 2 switches.

I have attached the configuration if I have one routable subnet and more than one directly connected networks how do I route that one subnet out when there are 3 exit interface? what routing protocol should I use? Or if i do it on layer 2 how do i do with vlans? Please I urgently need your guidance on this.

Thanks and Regards

5 Replies 5

glen.grant
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

you have to tell us how you are going to connect these switches together before we can help you . You don't need a routing protocol per se if you are just going to connect them together somehow . You would just have one 3560 do ip routing then trunk to all the other boxes , but you really have to determine on how to lay out the boxes and connections first . If possible supply a map .

Hi Glen,

Let me give you the whole picture. I have 6 remote locations connected by Microwave and then connected to the switch. Each switch will have different subnets. For connecting switches I am doing the followings

Switch1 (10.10.10.1/30)-->Switch2(10.10.10.2/30)

LAN:192.168.1.1/24

Switch2 (10.10.11.1/30)-->Switch3(10.10.11.2/30)

LAN:192.168.2.1/24

Switch2 (10.10.12.1/30)-->Switch3(10.10.12.2/30)

LAN:192.168.3.1/24

Switch3 (10.10.13.1/30)-->Switch4 (10.10.13.2/30)

LAN:192.168.4.1

Now I want each subnet to be made accessible to the other. I have configured "no switchport" fastethernet ports where the microwave ethernet is terminating on the switch. Now to achieve this on a Layer 3 switch how do I go about? I also have to monitor these links for which I will be designing a management vlan. I hope this helps.

nathansouthgate
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

This is a very similar layout to the one that I am attempting to implement, I know this post was over 3 years a go but did you figure out the best solution both for connectivity and with minimum data rebroadcasting?

Thanks

Nath

Really all that would need to be done is to set up a routing  protocol like ospf or eigrp with the  appropriate network statements and the the boxes will talk fine . To run the dydnamic routing protocols though you need the ipservices image on your box otherwise you are limited to RIP  or static routes which gets messy if you have more than a couple of boxes...  For info on how to setup this go to main cisco webpage and just search on " configuring ospf" .

ben.hansen
Level 1
Level 1

I don't have any solutions to offer but a similar problem.  I've got my new vlans setup and passing traffic between swtiches but if I connect a laptop configured to connect to any of the new vlans I can't ping with success.  Not sure what the deal is, I tried setting the gateway to the VLAN ip, switch IP, closest router etc, no replies.  I've got a functional VOIP vlan setup to that I used to plaguerize config from and it didnt work

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: