Views
Helpful
Replies

6500 Backplane

wrgoulden
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

Are there any single points of failure with the chassis of a 6506E for example? If I populate it with dual sup32's, dual power supplies is the shared 32Gbps backplane a potential single point of failure within the chassis?

Thanks,

Wayne

2 Replies 2

bodnar.ed
Level 1
Level 1

Make sure your Power supplies plug into seperate power sources. If this is the case i would say no for the over all chassis.

But if you dont dual home your servers to ports on seperate blands withing the chassis then you blade becomes a single point of failure.

When you dual home make sure you use port 1 of blade 1 and port 48 of blade 2 for server 1. The back plane of the chassis makes things redundant but it seperates the chassis in half vertickly. so if you lose the back plane all ports on the left hand side of the chassis will go down.

To the best of my knolage this is how the 6509-E works.

Ahh there is humin error also. :)

m-haddad
Level 5
Level 5

Hello Wayne,

The backplane is considered like a dummy board connecting the slots together. THe possibility of the backplane to fail is very low. The chassis is like the frame of a house. The possibility of this frame to fail is way lower than what is inside it. In short, if you are worried about this backplane to be a point of failure you will need another 6509E and then you can run HSRP or VSS between the two chassis.

Remark: VSS requires special SUPs and hardware requirements.

Hope this helps,

Appreciate your rating,

Regards,

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card