cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

6500 Loses running config after IOS upgrade

James Matthews
Level 1
Level 1

After upgrading from version s3223-entservicesk9_wan-mz.122-18.SXF2.bin to version s3223-ipservicesk9_wan-mz.122-33.SXI1.bin my 6500 switch has completely lost it's running config. Fortunately I was able to re-instate the original copy from a backup, however, I can see no reason why this would happen?

I've upgraded many 6500 switches before and I've not come across this issue. Does anyone have any ideas why this would've happened?

7 Replies 7

Richard Burts
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

James

Is it possible that the config register got reset somehow and is now something like 0x2142?

HTH

Rick

HTH

Rick

Unfortunately not. I actually had 11 switches to upgrade (all from the same version) and they all did exactly the same thing, apart from one which is running a slightly different version of HW/FW -1.7 & 12.2(18r)SX9 rather than 1.5 &

12.2(18r)SX2.

It must have something to do with the older cards I think. Is there any way I can check if there are any known issues like this anywhere?

James

I am sorry that the easy answer was not the correct answer

Resources that you can use to try to find the cause would include:

- the release notes are probably the best place to start. They are fairly good about identifying requirements and dependencies in new versions of code.

- the bug toolkit to search the bug data base at Cisco.

- open a case with TAC.

HTH

Rick

HTH

Rick

The configuration register should be 0x2102, confirm here:

6500_Switch# show bootvar

it would also be worth checking your config-register on the RP (Route Processor)

6500_Switch# remote command switch show bootvar

if the config register of the RP is not 0x2102, then you will need to reissue the configuration register in configuration mode

6500_Switch(config)# config-register 0x2102

this one can be one of those hidden issues that gets overlooked often.

I can confirm that the config register is 0x2102 on both the Sup and the RP:

GS-FS0101#sh bootvar
BOOT variable = sup-bootdisk:s3223-ipservicesk9_wan-mz.122-33.SXI1.bin,1;
CONFIG_FILE variable does not exist
BOOTLDR variable does not exist
Configuration register is 0x2102
Standby is up
Standby has 262144K/34816K bytes of memory.
Standby BOOT variable = sup-bootdisk:s3223-ipservicesk9_wan-mz.122-33.SXI1.bin,1;
Standby CONFIG_FILE variable =
Standby BOOTLDR variable =
Standby Configuration register is 0x2102

GS-FS0101#remote command switch sh bootvar

BOOT variable = bootdisk:s3223-ipservicesk9_wan-mz.122-33.SXI1.bin,1;
CONFIG_FILE variable =
BOOTLDR variable does not exist
Configuration register is 0x2102

James Yeo
Level 1
Level 1

Hi James,

We had the same issue with almost identical IOS versions. We logged a TAC but not answer as yet! Bootvar was indicating 0x2102. The logs had a tftp to 255.255.255.255 looking for a running :-) on reload. However when we copied the start-up config to running and unshut the intrfaces all came up well. We then did a reload to the previous IOS by just changing the boot system command with a save.

Guess what! It had no problem finding the running-config when we booted to the previous version of code. Have not upgraded again as I need a maintanance slot as the newer IOS had complications with the FWSM modules :-(

If you found out why then please post your answer

Cheers

James

Hi James

Funnily enough we've only just rectified this issue after discovering it nearly two years ago.

The problem we had was to do with the default size of the SP & RP RAM installed on our Sups. Basically, because the kit was purchased before May 2006, we had insufficent memory available to support the newer IOS version.

Here are some comments from Cisco regarding this:

To allow version 122-33.SXI1 (?) of code to run, the following sup32 memory upgrades need to be deployed:

• •-          Switch Processor Bootflash memory upgraded from 256Mb to 512Mb, part number MEM-C6K-CPTFL512M=
  • •-          Route Processor Bootflash upgrade not needed – this assumes that the default memory of 64Mb is installed
  • •-          Switch Processor DRAM upgrade not needed - this assumes that the default memory of 512Mb is installed
  • •-          Route Processor DRAM memory upgraded from 512Mb to 1Gb, part number MEM-MFSC3-1Gb=

The default memory values are based on hardware that was shipped on or after 5/5/2006. If your hardware is older than this I would recommend checking the current defaults installed.

This link may help you further:

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/prod/collateral/switches/ps5718/ps708/qa_c67_457347.html

Hope this helps.

James

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card